Finally made decision on my surrounds

sire

I did some impulse buying and hurt the cc some. I purchased a set of original Fortes and another Academy to test which way to go with my surrounds. Standard placment of surrounds was out of the question. Only choices are back wall behind my chair or in the ceiling. I just could not cut holes in the ceiling.

First I swapped around Fortes and Forte IIS as fronts to see which I preferred as mains. The Fortes seemed to have a tighter bass but seemed harsh compared to the IIs. I guess I got used to the IIs. The IIs are my mains.

Put the Fortes about four feet back and a little to the side of my chair. Sounded fine but I think my high back Lazy Boy is blocking some sound.

Put a set of Academies on top of the Fortes and since they are alot higher, the effects were more noticeable but otherwise nothing major in audio quality over the Fortes. Maybe purchase a dedicated chair for home theaters or raise the Fortes a little.

This decision was based on my inexperienced ears and ,too be honest, how everything fit in the room. The system will never be the perfect setup but as long as it makes me happy, that is what counts to me.

Now I can finally get someone to run the surround cables through the walls and ceiling and get rid of the "hanging spaghetti"

2005 most likely will be upgrade electronics. I do wonder about upgraded xovers for the Fortes. 2.gif

Mike