MY HORNS!!! questions on building

DwK

I am undertaking a new project. And that is building my own horns.

So, far I have built 1 prototype at my dads. It was designed for this crappy speaker from a 10$ boom box that i took apart, just to see if it would actualy amplify the sound....... it did Smile.gif

The one I built I built it .... for a mid range.

the end where the speaker goes, is 3 inchs by 3 inches. The big opening on the other side, measures 31 inches across, 11.5 inches tall.With all those sides rounded out.

Now that I know it will work, I would like to make another one, well 3 actualy, 2 with the same design, and one for the subwoofer.

I will still be using the same crappy materials though, because its free.

The sides are made out of ... what were 2 by 12's, and the top and bottom were made out of crappy plywood.

Here is what I was considering using *and where questions come in:

For Midrange: a 4-5 inch driver Is this a good size, or should I go smaller? And could you recomend some good speakers that arnt real expensive?

For Subwoofer: a 10-15 inch subwoofer from Radio Shack. What size do you think would be best? and can you recomend any other good ones to use.

For Tweeter: Thats a toughy, should I go with a good 1 inch tweeter? or go with like a 3 inch tweeter? OR just buy one of the 2 by 6 horn tweeters from radioshack (already have 1) and add on to it?

But, I think using RAdioshack speakers would be the best, since they already limit what frequencies they respond to, and I wouldnt have to deal with getting crossovers.

If I did though, I would like to get any one of the Heritage line speakers crossovers.

However, till I get the new speakers, I will be using the speakers out of my Fishers.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

DWK--I take it you want to use a cone midrange to drive your DIY mid horns. Very few cone mids have the necessary "oomph" to properly energize a horn, you need a driver with a big magnet. Look for used JBL LE-5s on Ebay, this is a very powerful (well for a cone anyway) 5" cone midrange that Bruce Edgar has successfully mated with his mid horns. Use the 15" woofer, it will play louder and make less distortion. Use the piezo, when used properly these can sound quite good. Run an 8 ohm resistor across the piezo's terminals and then use a cookbook 1st order, single capacitor crossover for the desired frequency. You should also wire a resistor in with the piezo to stabilize the amp, info for properly using piezos, including resistor values, can be found at the website of the manufacturer, CTS Electronics in Indiana.