Best reciever for RF-15s

aPete1225

I am currently using a Sony reciever with a pretty high THD. I want to clear up the sound and am looking for a new reciever. The RF-15s are used in a theater setup, but are used 50% of the time for straight music in a stereo mode. I am looking for something that will give me good sound on the theater end but more importantly sound great in stereo mode.

AP

Well, right now the RF-15s are really the center piece of the system. I started out with a Sony system that came with the 4 satellites, center, sub, receiver and DVD player. So I am gradually improving my system piece by piece. After the receiver, I plan on replacing the rest of the existing speakers with matching Klipsch. In the way of a budget I am willing to spend up to $700 but would also like to get the best value and not go overboard.

I see that HK was mentioned. This is currently one of the products that I have been looking at but was a little curious about why the power rating is so low. How can I determine what receiver would best match my speakers when the ratings are so different from the ratings on my speakers?

thanks

As there is not such a great difference in sound in that price range between the recommended models it is also very important how easy to use your future model is. You can download many manuals and study how tricky your favourite is in daily use.

Then pick up two or three models and do a little listening with your speakers preferably at home.

In that price range Marantz would be my first choice.

----------------

On 2/7/2005 11:38:22 AM aPete1225 wrote:

Well, right now the RF-15s are really the center piece of the system. I started out with a Sony system that came with the 4 satellites, center, sub, receiver and DVD player. So I am gradually improving my system piece by piece. After the receiver, I plan on replacing the rest of the existing speakers with matching Klipsch. In the way of a budget I am willing to spend up to $700 but would also like to get the best value and not go overboard.

I see that HK was mentioned. This is currently one of the products that I have been looking at but was a little curious about why the power rating is so low. How can I determine what receiver would best match my speakers when the ratings are so different from the ratings on my speakers?

thanks

----------------

HK are listed as low power because they are closer to reality and can outperform many (such as Sony) listed at 100W (under different measurement conditions).

RM1111

I see that you have one of the HK's and a set of the RF-15s. I was wondering what some of your thoughts were on that matchup? If I am looking at the correct specs for that reciever then its at 75w/ch. Do you feel that one of the lower models would effectivly work with the RF-15s and if so what would be the lowest and/or optimal wattage for the speakers?

thanks

I think that HK goes well with Klipsch. But people have their own opinions. I had a sony and the sound quality in the HK blows it away. Nice warm clean sound likedenon. Like other people have said in the forum,u can't compare the Watt per channel with HK, usually they are under rated. The lowest model I would go with the RF 15 would be the 335. The 630 that I have has more than enough power for the RF 15's. You can get the HK 630 at www.vanns.com for 679.00 with free shipping. They are a authorized dealership. I heard that the really only different between the 630 and 635 is the equalizer.

Thanks everyone for the helpful responces. I like a lot of the features with the HK and it seems a lot of the reviews out on the web say that it makes a great match with the Klipsch. No that my main concern, the wattage, has been answered I believe either the 435 or 635 will be finding a way into my living room here shortly.

One last question; I also need to upgrade my surrounds, sub and center. Which purchase would you suggest first, receiver or speakers?

ok I will probably get chastised for this:

I have RF-15 fronts, RF-35 center and 3 SS-1 Surrounds, and a ksw-10" sub all being pushed by a Integra DTR 5.5.... sounds Extremly good at reference levels (108 db measured by sound level meter @ 8 feet from fronts) in a 16 x 10.5 x 8 room... and yes a i am def now 3.gif

Very clean sounding...

I can not complain about the integra DTR 5.5 for 599.00

have not tried the others but I am extremly happy with t!!his....