Crossover Settings

rwings01

Hi All, I just purchased a Klipsch RF-35,RC-35 & RS-35 system. Also, using HK AVR635. My ? is what's the best setup for this system? I've read putting speakers to small is the way to go and on the other hand i've read putting mains to large is the way to go.I tried both and they both sound good.Right now i have my mains to large at 40hz, center to small at 100hz and sorround to small at 100hz, 12" sub at 120hz lfe is sub. Is there a better configuration? Someone told me to put all speakers to small at 80hz and sub to 150 hz because this is what THX recommends. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

A speaker set to large does not have any bass redirected to the subwoofer. The recommensation is to set all speakers as small. There are too many reasons for this to state them all here. THX has recommended this for a long time based upon their research.

Many on the forum disagree with THX and think that you are wasteing the bass on the RF-35s run as small. I run RF-7s as small and believe I get higher quality sound. Loudness is not my primary objective; high quality bass is my objective.

The crossover should be set at twice the frequency where the speaker starts to fall off. My Rf-7s start to fall off at 40 Hz, so I set the crossover at 80 Hz.

THX recommends 80 Hz for a variety of reasons.

Bill