Turntable Dustcovers

topfueltom

Hi All,

Let me start off saying that I'm still overjoyed with my Cornerhorns (like why wounldn't I be) Let me get to my question.. I need to remove some scratches from the dustcover on my turntable can anybody help me with that?

I know that there is a way but I'm unaware of it. Some kind of rubbing compound is my guess but want to be sure before I attempt to do it.

So I'm tapping into my best forum full of brainiacs for help.

TFT2.gif

Meguiars Mirror Glaze 10 polish and 17 cleaner are microabrasion plastic products that we used to use on LEARJET 1" acrylic windshields. I have used them successfully on safety glasses, DUSTCOVERS, etc. Use just like car wax, polish on , rub off, do several times with each product. CLean cotton cloth like diaper is best for buffing.

The steel wool thing scares me, I'd use scotchbrite pads first.

Michael

This is s good thread. I just got my turntable back, (Actually got it back a few months ago) and am in the process of making the move back into vinyl, especially after my experience at Andy's last weekend. My dust cover has seen better days I think I am going to give Michaels idea a try.

I've never fixed a jet. That must be really cool. But I have fixed a few turntable dustcovers using the first method described in the link. I bought everything mentioned (comet, dupont, meguiares, windex, pledge) and simply followed the directions. I've never used a buffer, just elbow grease, and the lids have all looked great when finished. All my tables were eventually sold on Ebay. Each table was listed as "nearly mint" and all buyers were highly satisfied.

Tom, Don't let the 0000 steel wool part "scare" you. Just practice on an old junker before trying it on an expensive or irreplaceable dustcover and you'll see what I mean.

Sorry, there are no "after" pics of the cover shown in the link, but there's no reason the one shown couldn't be made to look new again.