Newbie Tube and Preamp Questions

davidpoynor

I have been reading and trying to learn little about tubes and preamps so forgive me if I ask something stupid,..... I have seen SET amps with just few watts, are these few watts enough to run even efficient speakers at much volume?(I have KLF-20's) Also when I look at the specs on most vintage (McIntosh, etc)the S/N, or Noise&Hum ratio is 90db or better..isn't this kinda noisy to today's standards? I like to listen my music kinda loud, what size tube amplifier do I need? I am using a Carver TFM-25 (225watts) and Dean's modified crossovers just put in (which made everthing more clean and clear) Now I really noticed my Carver is harsh at louder levels so I am in search of an ampflier. One last note is I am using my Yamaha RX-V2500 as my preamp using the "pure direct" mode when playing music,... will the Yamaha preamp kill any good tube amp sound? Thanks

David

a few watts is more than enough on super-senstive Klipsch speakers, unless you like lots of rock n roll, at loud volumes , in a big room, then you will notice the clipping -

the old S/N ratio is fine, pretty inaudible at that level-

no doubt your Carver is hard and steely at loud volumes with your speaks-

the receiver as pre-amp will not kill your tube amp sound, I would look at refurbished vintage tube amps, EL34/84 tubes or the ASL Waves 10s ($249 each)-

also the a sub makes a very big difference with tubes, helping out inthe bass where they don't have enough push...

10.gif

I have loved low power SET amps for many years, and have been satisfied with what they can do with high efficiency speakers.

I have also had the chance recently to listen to some rather more powerful tube amps, and can't help but admit that those I heard made some really nice sounding music. I was testing a diminutive Harmon Kardon amp for a friend over the weekend, this was a 6BQ5 integrated amp (did I already mention this?), and was just kind of taken aback by what came out of my speakers -- as if they were just fed a new food that tasted really good and they were begging for more. The one word that I can think of that 'might' describe the sound was a sense of 'ease' or somehow very 'unstrained.' I know those words can have subjective connotations, but that was the impression I got. A great amp, with ceramic caps sprinkled everywhere inside, that sounded awesome. Just a touch of the volume control had things very loud very fast -- probably more than we need here, but it was good sounding!

It did not have the visual appeal of my own amps, but it sort of seemed to say, "I've got a job to do redardless of what I look like!"

...why am I personifying this stuff!?

If you have a large space to fill with satisfying music, I would absolutly go with a more powerful amplifier than an SET. Born2 borrowed a Moondog for a center channel, and mentioned hearing distortion, which was probably the sound of it beginning to clip. They have high ceilings and a fairly big area, but that Baldwin amp (what is that again Craig, 25 watts a side?)produced concert volume sound without distortion of any kind. A really marvelous amplifier, easily the best I have heard at only $250! Better than many costing lots more, too. I've looked for one for myself, and haven't been able to find quite the right one.

Erik