Hissing coming from tweeters when I bi-wire my KLF 30's

njksmith

Hello,

I just got brand new KLF 30's and I bi wired them with Ultralink biwire speaker cable. THere is a hissing noise coming from the top of the speakers so I suspect it is the tweeters. Is this normal? If I take out the HF wires and only have the LF cables plugged in for each speaker there is no hissing coming from the speakers at all. I have a Harmon Kardon Signature 2.0 pre-amp and HArmon Kardon Signature 2.1 amp. I doubt the problem is the speakers as they're brand new. Is the hissing perhaps caused by intereference from the amp? When I turn the volume up on the preamp it makes a small clicking sound in the speakers which is only audible when on low volume though. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Nick.

njk, i can hear the clickin from the marantz too if i listen close enough w/ the volume way up in a dsp mode.

don't think biwires would cause hiss. maybe just makes

it more apparent from your source component(s). does it stay the same for all inputs selected? my marantz is real quiet until i switch to the sony dvdp then i can hear some hiss ih the volume is up enough.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect/Monster MCX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX-1 Biwire

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

This is a common problem.

The hissing is noise from the amp. The very efficent speakers make it apparent. I had the same effect from an HK HT unit.

This is not a form of interference or anything that is harmful. Just the noise floor of the electronics. You might find that it is most apparent when the amp is in a theater mode with digital signal processing. The processor is noisy.

There really is no remedy except to find a different amp. Or decide to live with it.

"Noise" tends to be most apparent in the treble region. That is why you hear it when the bi-wiring allows you to switch the tweeter on and off.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 08-25-2001 at 09:23 AM