cornwall speakers versus forte 1 or 2 sound quality

j krause

Forte II Specs

Forte Specs

Cornwall II Specs

Cornwall Specs

(Chorus II Specs)

I have never heard the forte or forte II, but I have heard the cornwall II and the chorus II. The chorus came after the forte and it's practically the same design, just using different drivers. According to the specs, the forte can dig a few Hz lower, but the chorus is more efficient.

The "II" version of the forte and chorus introduces a tractrix horn for the mid driver instead of the original exponential horn. All 3 speakers still use an exponential horn for the tweeter. I think the general consensus is that the exponential mid is a bit brighter and more forward than the tractrix horn. I also find the tractrix to be a bit more dry sounding.

All that said, the differences are rather minor but I think the quality would go in this order:

Cornwall > Chorus > Forte

and

II > I

May I ask why you're interested in comparing those particular speakers? If you have the space and funds, then I would suggest purchasing the cornwalls and be done with it. I have even read a few reviews of some people that actually prefer the cornwall over the khorn...

there is a Bass difference .....

it is more the difference between slam, and pitch ...

i have all 3 ....the F2's, for whatever reason are really my favorites ...

the Chorus 2's can really rock, altho the Forte's really give up little comparitively

both these speakers give up some "slam" for a tighter, more defined bass

i prefer the Tractix horn much more ....

the Cornwall is probably the finest Jazz speaker ever made, the mid horn tho, if there is a lot going on in the mix...can sound muddy, and if pushed under that condition, really strident .....

2.gif

Have to agree here with the chorus II / Forte I-II comments above. You really need to place the passives near a wall or preferrably a corner to enjoy the true capabilities of these speakers. If you just set them out in the middle of the room they are weak in bass compared to the cornwall. But put them in a corner and its a different ball game. Personally i find the passive designs to actually be much tighter in response.

But another side note.........they are all great!!