Looking for used amp under $500.....

streyle

I am looking at using my current receiver, HK DPR1001 as a pre/pro and buying a used amp somewhere....I had been looking at Outlaw 7100 amps, but I'm looking for anything used that would be an upgrade over my HK (50w/channel).....

My setup is currently 7.1 RF-35, RC-35, RS-3, RB-35, SVS Pci........

i doubt that the outlaw will be much of an upgrade from your receiver....

a better suggestion might be to spend the $500 on a two channel amp to power your mains and let your receiver power the center and surrounds for now....

and then as funds allow - add additional amps to power the rest of your channels.... i am doing that right now... see my profile for details...

you get a much better sounding and more powerful amp for your mains and your two channel listening is greatly improved...

just a thought!

1.gif

what is your music/movie mix and how large is your room?

if you like your movies loud and your room is medium to large size-wise then i would recommend getting an amp with at least 200 watts per channel...

your best bang for the buck is a brand new crown XLS402 amp... under $400 brand new with a 5 year warranty - 260 watts per channel...

in the used market there are many very good choices out there.... do some browsing on audiogon for rotel, nad, carver, bryston, aragon, b&k, etc...

if you are in a smaller room and your mix might be more music focused, then perhaps some 60 watt tube amps would do the trick.... (i'm not that familiar with tube amp pricing so i hesitate to recommend any specific brand names)

1.gif

I'd say I'm about 70/30 in favor of movies....I have a fairly small room, maybe 14x10....something along those lines....

I'm not too worried about needing a lot of power.....but I was trying to find something that would help improve my quality.....

how expensive are the digital tri-path amplifiers going for nowadays? If 30 watts per channel is enough, I think you can get the TEAC 3 channel digital amps for under $100 shipped. Two for $200 and you've got yourself 30x6. TBrennan from the forum has one and he says it sounds very good. The only downside to it is that the volume controls are small and in the back, but if you use a reciever for a preamp, then you won't have to worry about it.

I have a crown XLS 402 right now and it sounds very very good for the price. The only downside is the noisy fan (i got an email from crown tech people saying that you can't remove the fan).

----------------

On 3/11/2005 2:43:09 PM streyle wrote:

I'd say I'm about 70/30 in favor of movies....I have a fairly small room, maybe 14x10....something along those lines....

I'm not too worried about needing a lot of power.....but I was trying to find something that would help improve my quality.....

----------------

quality does come into play with the power issue.... all of the amps i listed will definitely sound better than a 50 watt receiver...

movies and some music can contain very sudden and high transient demands which can instantly require 10 to 30 times the power level of your average listening level.... with very efficient klipsch speakers - the average level might vary from 1 watt to 3 watts or so.... if at 3 watts - you get a 30 times the power demand from the soundtrack and you have a 50 watt per channel receiver, the signal will clip....

in many instances this clipped signal is so quick that you might not hear the distortion.... but if you listen to the same passage again with a 200 watt amplifier, you WILL hear the improvement because now you are getting the full musical waveform and hearing all of the sound...

1.gif

----------------

On 3/11/2005 2:48:42 PM DrWho wrote:

how expensive are the digital tri-path amplifiers going for nowadays? If 30 watts per channel is enough, I think you can get the TEAC 3 channel digital amps for under $100 shipped. Two for $200 and you've got yourself 30x6. TBrennan from the forum has one and he says it sounds very good. The only downside to it is that the volume controls are small and in the back, but if you use a reciever for a preamp, then you won't have to worry about it.

----------------

but how much of an improvement is that over an HK with digital amps? I'm new at this and want to be understand fully what the benefits are.....

----------------

On 3/11/2005 2:48:42 PM DrWho wrote:

----------------

no offense... but 30 watts per channel is going backwards from what he has right now (50 watts per channel)....

and as for power needs - see my post above

1.gif

Well I'm just passing along info saying how good those TEACs sounded. I know they make digital amps for cheap that put out more watts, but I have no clue what they are. There is also a bunch of DIY stuff happening too. TBrennan mentioned a friend of his that built some amps off the tri-path chip that put out 150watts and cost him I think $200. The only reason I bring up the digital amp option is because so many people are talking about how good they sound...I've got a small 5watter that I'm borrowing right now that I've yet to plug in and try out for myself (gotta find me some batteries).

quality does come into play with the power issue.... all of the amps i listed will definitely sound better than a 50 watt receiver...

movies and some music can contain very sudden and high transient demands which can instantly require 10 to 30 times the power level of your average listening level.... with very efficient klipsch speakers - the average level might vary from 1 watt to 3 watts or so.... if at 3 watts - you get a 30 times the power demand from the soundtrack and you have a 50 watt per channel receiver, the signal will clip....

in many instances this clipped signal is so quick that you might not hear the distortion.... but if you listen to the same passage again with a 200 watt amplifier, you WILL hear the improvement because now you are getting the full musical waveform and hearing all of the sound...

1.gif

----------------

I've looked and there are some Rotel and NAD in my pricerange.... I also think it makes sense to take care of the front 3 channels first and then worry about the rest......

I've looked at the Crowns and have heard very good things about them

as streyle mentioned... he already has digital amps in his h/k receiver....

and i am very familiar with the sound of digital amps... i've been running a carver professional ZR1000 digital amp for the last year and a half.... 225 watts per side of great sound on my KLF-30's....

but they do sell for about $800 online.... a little out of streyle's price range...

1.gif

Alright, I've read about Crown XLS 402 overt at avsforum and I think I'm sold......

Where are the Crown amps sold? I'd prefer to buy from a local dealer so I can demo it with my setup......

if not, there are tons of places on Ebay I can cheap.....