How to use Monoblocks

texican58

Forum members,

Please help a newbie out.

Would someone kindly explain what a monoblock does vs. a standard SS amp? I have been shopping Audiogon for amps so that IF I get a set of RF7s, I could bi-amp them for some deep, killer bass at lower volumes.

I'm embarrased to say that I don't really get how all this goes together when it comes to bi-amping and using multiple amps to drive speakers, so I need either a diagram or a good explanation of how I would put this system together. I believe that much of the power of an amp is dedicated to the 'low' end of a speaker, and by bi-amping or splitting the output to a speaker into two amps, I could increase the speakers' ability to be full-bodied at low volumes.

Is it possible for one of you experienced audiphiles to explain to me in 'layman's' terms what a monoblock does for me? I might find that simply updating the crossovers (DeanG), I might be able to eliminate the monos and still get the type of performance I want without having to cluge/connect multiple amps together.

My limited imagination has pictured a pre-amp (Yamaha 2400) feeding two separate amps (two monoblocks), each dedicated to either one woofer within a speaker or to the whole speaker itself. I may be waaaaaay off! If I did bi-amp using two monoblocks, what would I use for the midrange/highs for the other part of the speaker?

Here's the real deal. I'm finishing my HT theater. I have RS35 rears, an RC3II center, and currently two Cornwalls as mains. I want to move my CWs to an audio room for me(Wife doesn't like the size and look) and install two RF5s or RF7s. I want the RFs to sound full and intense even at lower volume levels. (I know from reading that if I throw the serious wattage at them, they'll do well, but wifey won't let me do that when watching normal HT/TV). So, assuming I pick up these RFs, do I need multiple amps (monoblocks) for the RFs, or just a crossover to attain my objective? Am I expecting too much? (unrealistic)

Lay it on this novice...and don't worry about hurtin' my feelings. I may be dumb right now, but I'm trying to get up to speed quickly.

Mitch

A monoblock is a single channel amplifier. If you filter the frequencies coming out of your pre-amp you could send the bass through a monoblock and then into the bass section of the speaker, same with the mid and high ranges. There's probably very little advantage to doing this since that's what your crossover network is supposed to do. Note that if you're committed to bi-wiring your speakers you could just as easily use a stereo amp for each speaker with one channel serving the bass and the other serving the mid and high. Monoblocks are probably most useful for odd configurations like PKW's three channel stereo setup or other odd configurations. Some would claim that multiple monoblocks are a cleaner solution than multichannel units. The power cords for a 7.1 system built of mono-blocks get pretty demanding on their own. Another thing to consider if money is an issue is that you can build one or two channels at a time with monoblocks.

Welcome and have fun.

Thanks for the input Yaff. It sounds like going down that path may not be the right choice for what I'm trying to do. I'm pretty worried that if I get the RFs that I'm scouting now, my Yamaha RXV2400 will not be satisfactory (too sharp/piercing/etc). I want full sound at both low and high volumes, so I might be looking to upgrade to another amp, or scrap the Reference line and add the Legends (KLF20s or 30s).

Thanks....mitch