RB-5 or SB-3 or SB-2

huub Hierck

I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 with the Reference speakers. Now I want to add to this 2 more speakers. Which only function as front effect speakers. The amp gives 2 x 35 watt RMS My question is should I buy the RB-5 or the SB-3 or SB-2

Power wise the SB-2 would be enough but what is the difference in sound.

Should I stick to the RB-5 which is also more expensive. Due to the fact that the speaker will be use as an effect speaker I'm rather reluctant to spend a lot of money when I could buy the SB-2 or 3 with the same result. confused.gif

Sorry maybe I was not clear enough

Currently I have on my Yamaha DSP-A1 the following speakers

2 RF-3 1 RC-3 and 2 RS-3 and a subwoofer from Pioneer.

Now I want to add 2 extra speakers as front effect speakers. But should I buy the RB-5 or the SB-2 or 3.

So the main thing is there a difference in sound between the RB or SB speakers.

I currently have a pair of SB-3's and they sound great. I do however have a KSW-10 subwoofer to add more base depth. I can tell you that my impression of the SB-2's is that I would make the upgrade to the SB-3's. If you are looking at the Reference line, then I would suggest that you look very serious at the RF-3's. Dollar for dollar, my personal impression is that the RF-3 is one of the best speaker on the more affordable range. I wish I had the $$$ for major upgrades, but everything has a cost.

Huub, my suggestion would be to try switching your fronts to those "effects" channels and see exactly how much information is actually coming out. You may want to listen or test for bass also. If your front speakers are not hooked up, they will not drown out the effects. You may find that there is not enough additional sound to justify the RB-3's or maybe even a set of speakers at all. I wouldn't think it would be that important to get an exact tonal match out of you effects speakers, because they should not have any voice or main sounds. If it ends up being minimal sound I would go with the SB-2's.

Good luck and happy listening!!

JT