got to listen to those RF-7

boa12

my local klipsch dealer got the rf-7 set up last week. just stereo for now. happened to wander in a listening room & spotted them. they really stood out from past klipsch for sure. beautiful real wood cherry

finish & those coppertone woofs.

i stuck my head out the door & said half jokingly to the saleslady something like "hey i see u got the new 2-way klf-30s" Smile.gif i noticed a gentleman on the other side of the counter sorta cringe at that statement.

turns out he was none other than rich the klipsch rep for KS/MO/IA/NE.

so of course he & she offered to fire them up for me. rich had a nice lil case of cds w/ a wide assortment of disks from the likes of diana krall, the black crowes, dada, the who, & metallica.

i kinda pictured a klipsch rep as some guy in his 20s w/ a blow-cut. rich had a few more grays in the beard & goatee than me, but make no mistake, he's a rocker. & a nice, genuine, open-minded guy to boot. an excellent example of klipsch. he probably even still listens to my 1st real LP - Black Sabbath Paranoid

cwm35.gif

the rf-7 were attached to a mcintosh amp & marantz preamp. w/ diana krall the stand-up bass was tight & detailed. could hear the fingers hitting the strings. her voice was smooth & clear. excellent precision, imaging & soundstage. definitely had that being in the same room effect. big improvement over my rf-3 in accuracy, detail & dynamics, which i think says a lot.

for the rock stuff, & the real comparison to my klf-30, it was evident the klf slam factor has definitely been added to this new reference. here it was obvious that klipsch's goal was to merge the legend line into the the new refs.

the rf-7 uses 2-10 inchers vs. the klf-30s' 2-12in. the rf-7 come very close to the impact of the klf-30 on the kick drum, but i have to say the klf-30 still have a little more in that 2nd & 3rd octave. would be interesting to hear how they compare to the klf-20 & 10.

still i think they've done a great job of 2-way speaker design considering the rf-7 woofs run all the way to 1975hz before the cross to the horn tweeter. unless u really need that 2nd & 3rd octave slam from your mains (well sort of like i do cwm32.gif) klipsch seems to have successfully turned out an overall excellent speaker w/ that ref accuracy, detail & imaging along w/ some of that slam from the legends.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect/Monster MCX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS1000 PowerCenter

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX-1 Biwire

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!