KSW-8 signal problems!?

sculpin4

I have an early KSW-8 sub from the 1990s. I have always had a problem getting a full signal that is strong enough to keep the amp auto switch "on" with an rca cable. The amp cycles on and off irregularly depending on the volume level of the movie at that particular moment.

When I connect the cable through the tape out RCAs the amp stays on but I can't control the volume. I've tried different recievers AIWA, Sony, I now have a Denon. I've tried many low and high quality cables, y-cables, and have this problem particularly with low volume levels.

When I am playing music CD's there is no problem. When I play the Movie loud, I mean really loud, there is no problem. The problem occurs when I play DVDs at normal listening levels. I'm thinking there might be problem with these early subwoofers because there was no dedicated RCA sub/input for the speaker. It only has the Right and Left Rca Inputs. If I connect to just one side R or L same story. Is there a way to amplify the signal comming out of the reciever?

Thanks,

ants in my pants and nerve racked!

There should be a dedicated input, maybe just one of the rcajack's on the sub. Also you should be running a subwoofer cable from the sub out of the reciever to the correct jack of the sub. Standard or high quality rca cables may no work, as I have had problems with a plain old rca cable. I had the ksw 10 and it had a decidated sub jack I think the l red rca jack. Or you could run the main speaker wires to the sub and then back to the l & r mains. adjust your phase and croosover accordly. I think it is hooked up incorrectly

Good luck

The dedicated sub input starts with the 10" model in the year my sub was manufactured. The 8" model for my year doesn't have a sub input. I think it was designed about the time they were starting to put a sub out RCA on recievers. I can connect with the main speaker wires no problem, but I'd rather have the cleaner signal of the RCA preouts. Again music sounds great.....the sub stays on. I only have the problem with DVDs.

Hmmm..

Got me try posting in the powered subwoofer section. Although you kind find a new or newer sub that will do what you want without complications for peanuts. I imagine even a low end sub would outperform the ksw8. I am sure you could find a newer model ksw-10 or 12 very cheap on ebay. Or you could spend some big bucks.

Good luck