My new RF-7s with DeanG crossovers

JohnSBW

First few seconds: the word that came to mind was "tight." The mids are much tighter. While the harshness at high frequencies/levels isn't completely removed, it's greatly diminished. Did the "Since I've Been Loving You" and "YYZ" test, and Dean's right--they're MUCH more enjoyable (not painful) now. Another record I discovered that works well for the test is Sarah McClachlan's "Fumbling Toward Ecstasy"--Sarah's voice and the sibilance in the recording made listening at high levels before nearly impossible. Plus, now there's MUCH more bass. I can listen in two channel mode without a sub, and hear everything.

Before, I'd try to listen to cds via analog connections--the digital out of my Denon 2900 was just too harsh. Now I can tolerate the extra detail in the sound, so that's how I listen.

One concern (and I'm not certain it's due to the new crossovers)--when listening to several different film soundtracks (Meet Joe Black, Shawshank Redemption, Man on Fire), during string sections, at high levels, I hear some sort of high-frequency noise. It may be tape hiss, it may be a combination of the musicians breathing, it may be bows on strings--I'm not sure. But it goes away when the strings do. The only thing I can compare it to is the sound of fabric being continuously rubbed. It sounds like a sheet being dragged across the floor. It doesn't show up on any other type of recording. Just orchestral string sections But like I said, I can't attribute that to the crossovers. I'll have to listen to more recordings to make sure, but I'm fairly certain it's an analog artifact--probably tape hiss, as it varies in level and channel from recording to recording. I plan to buy a power reconditioner/filter or other treatment to lower the noise floor on my system.

All in all, a great enhancement to my system! Thanks again, Dean!