Power output?

HondaGuy

When the product announcement was made, about the time of CES (Consumer Electronics Show), we had not yet done our pre-production build, and so we hesitated to release power numbers. We knew that we would have at least 200 Watts peak output, so that's the power number that was announced.

The Owner's Manual for the iFi does not contain a power spec. The focus of this system was not on power numbers but on quality of music reproduction. The subwoofer is new from the ground up, designed with sound quality, extended low frequency response, and high output in mind, in that order. Honestly, it's my new favorite subwoofer. Period.

The RSX-3 satellites have an iFi specific crossover network to better match the amplifier and mate with the sub.

"Unofficial" power numbers (continuous) are 50W*2 for the left and right and 100W for the sub (THD < 5%). Peak power (at the crest of the sine wave) is around 90W*2 for the left and right and 160W for the sub, or 340W peak.

For those who are curious: The continuous power numbers are measured with an Audio Precision, and are calculated based on an RMS sine wave voltage into known load. The peak power is calculated similarly, but looking at the peak voltage with no visible (or audible) "clipping" or "limiting" (i.e. < 1% THD). Until you approach the limits of the amplifier the THD numbers are well below that, generally about 0.05% to 0.1% THD, depending on power level and frequency.

Wow nice post Andy! I want this system so bad, I can also hook it upto my PC also correct? And control the volume with the remote?

Oh btw, on the iFi info page, the image that is supposed to be the side view of the iPod on the dock unit when you enlarge it goes to a picture of a ceiling mounted speaker.