Panasonic SA-XR50 Receiver

tommyboy

I used an SA-XR50 with my RF-7s until just recently. It's an impressively clean, detailed sounding receiver, especially when used through it's digital inputs. For two channel listening with my RF-7s, it was a little challenged in the bass department. I think it would do better with a little less demanding speaker, and better still with a powered subwoofer helping out. It's bass management only allows crossover points of 100, 150, or 200Hz though. I don't know anything about the Synergy's impedance curve, but I imagine it's easier on amps than the RF7 is.

I actually had two of the SA-XR50s at one point, as well as an SA-XR25. I sold the extra 50 and the 25, and both buyers have reported back to me that they are very pleased.

Another inexpensive receiver to consider is the JVC RX-F10. It has a warmer sound, and pushes out the lower frequencies with apparent ease on my RF-7s. It's also said to have better analog inputs. The Panasonic has to convert the analog inputs to digital before it can perform pre-amp and amplification functions, while the JVC doesn't since it uses analog control signals for it's amps.

If you're going to be primarily supplying a digital signal out from your DVD/CD player or computer's optical or coaxial digital outputs, the general consensus is that the SA-XR50 is hard to beat. If you're primarily supplying analog signals, then the JVC is probably better.

One last thing: neither the JVC or Panasonic have a phono input. So if you listen to records, you'll need an external phono stage.