Power spikes

Northshore

I have a Furman model 15 line conditioner on my recently completed Home Theater. The voltage coming in is always between 122V-124V according to the front panel readout. Two days ago the system operated well as usual and when I went for a movie last night all was not well. The dreaded EXCESSIVE VOLTAGE indicator light was activated and the system was D.O.A. I was able to reset the power switch and all appears well at this time. My concern and question is that after reading the manual I discovered the Excess Volt trigger comes into play after a line surge of at least 137 volts. I can say that the last time I used the system, we had a serious electrical storm, the mystery is that nothing else in the house had been effected. Have any of you folks had this type of experience? is mine a freak phenomenon? should I be concerned about damage to the system? Did we really land on the moon? sorry got off track. Any comments would be appreciated.

Well, I am the service manager at an RV dealership, and we just yesterday had a guy come in with a motorhome that had pushed out exhaust gaskets for the generator, and one swung around and hit the governor linkage...thus allowing it to run at an rpm that produced 150-152v. Nothing was hurt, surprisingly. I have seen some pretty good surges in household and RV situations yet nothing was damaged. Most often, low voltage will do more damage since it will increase amp draw as voltage drops....in short, you are probably just fine if all works okay!

"I can say that the last time I used the system, we had a serious electrical storm, the mystery is that nothing else in the house had been effected."

... that you know of, right? Do other devices in the house measure and report line voltage? I recently put two APC UPS boxes on my PCs and they frequently give me notices about voltage variations and such that I never knew were happening. Nice of the Furman to stop it from reaching your gear.

----------------

On 4/29/2005 7:21:23 PM dougdrake wrote:

... that you know of, right? Do other devices in the house measure and report line voltage? I recently put two APC UPS boxes on my PCs and they frequently give me notices about voltage variations and such that I never knew were happening. Nice of the Furman to stop it from reaching your gear.

----------------

Good point, I only have the Furman to monitor line voltage coming in to the house. Downstairs I do have a Monster HT 2500 that seemed normal, I say that I am fortunate that I had the Furman in place. Otherwise, the Northshore Theater is down for the count.