KSB 1.1 question - indoor/outdoor?

wjaco

Hey all,

Well, I recently found a vintage HK 630 twin powered receiver at a yard sale for 10 bucks...it works great. I remember from browsing this forum some last year that a lot of you guys love the old HKs for driving your Klipsch's so I decided I better find some and see how they match up. Let it be said that I am pretty much a Polk guy when it comes to speakers...the only Klipsch speaks I have owned previously was a Quintet satellite system which I enjoyed for awhile but eventually sold to try out something else (Wharfedale satellites).

So anyhow, I found a pair of KSB 1.1 speaks locally and picked them up. They aren't bad, vocals and imaging are actually quite nice.

My question is this: Are these things waterproof? They really look like outdoor speakers, but the info I found on them on the Klipsch site did not specify if they were for outdoor use or not. I'm guessing not, but they do sound better IMO than my 3 year old Advent outdoor speakers, and since I have a pair of KG3.2s on the way I'm not sure what other use I will have these down the road.

Thanks everyone!

Woody

Not really weatherproof, as they are ported. but tweets are pretty water resistant and woofers are poly with rubber surrounds so should be okay.

But if you hang em facing downwards or pointing towards the house, the sound reflects off the house or patio and weather pretty much stays out. I'd take em down in the wintertime though. The Klipsch white speakers that look like ksb's have no port and are therefore waterproof.

Oh, GREAT buy on the 630, I just paid $85 on ebay for a 430, but it is mint. THey sound fantastic!

Michael

Ah, ported, of course. That pretty much answers that. Off to the garage then.

Yes, I am quickly becoming a huge fan of the 630 twin powered receiver. While waiting for my 3.2s to show up I have been using it drive my old Advents with tremendous results...it is a really fine sounding receiver...just gobs of headroom.

It looked really ugly when I found it...just covered with dust and filth. But it powered up and most of the dial lights worked, so I of course had to buy it. I was leary as the seller said she had it in the attic for a couple of years (North Carolina summers make for super hot attics that will ruin the caps). But upon getting it home I opened it up and found that it was actually really clean on the inside and nothing looked worse for wear. Cleaned the pots and controls and fired it up. And wow. Probably the best sounding vintage receiver I have had, and I have had a few nice ones (Pioneer sx1250 and sx3900, Sansui G5500, Yamaha cr820). It is indeed a keeper!

check under SEARCH for 430 notes. there is a thread that discusses startup proceedures and changing all the fuses in the HK n30 series- there are a total of 8 fuses and by changing them all out you can avoid many problems that some users experience with these older units.

Michael