Sub-12 sv PB10-ISD

Blackmesa

The amps look to be about the same. However, based on published specs, the SVS has an 18% larger enclosure, weighs 20 lbs more, and is rated for - 3db at 20 hz, whereas the -3 db point with the Sub 12 is 24 hz. The Sub-12's response likely drops like a stone below 24 hz, whereas if the PB10 behaves like other SVS subs, it should have a more gently sloping response curve - and undoubtedly has useful bass responses down to 16-18 hz.

Just speculating here, but the Sub-12 probably has higher output than the PB-10 above 30hz. There's a big 'ol debate going on at AVS right now comparing the PB-10 to the LFM-1 and it's pretty much the same thing. PB-10 doing better below 25hz, and LFM-1 doing better above it.

I'm with xcjago, SVS fanboys all too often emphasize the linearly response below 20hrz. I'm sorry, but I cant even hear that stuff. Sure its important and your body does sense it somewhat, but honesty those FQ's make up less than 1% of most action movies. There are only a few scenes in even the most intensive bass movies that call for it. Sure it would be nice to have, but at a sacrifice of overall SPL for far more common bass, no way!

----------------

On 5/11/2005 1:59:11 PM xcjago wrote:

Just speculating here, but the Sub-12 probably has higher output than the PB-10 above 30hz. There's a big 'ol debate going on at AVS right now comparing the PB-10 to the LFM-1 and it's pretty much the same thing. PB-10 doing better below 25hz, and LFM-1 doing better above it.

----------------

LFM-1 would be better againts the PB12-ISD, I would not take a pb10 over the outlaw!

The definition of a 'subwoofer' would likely depend, for most users, on the type of main speakers that are being augmented. If your main speakers are flat to 40 hz, and have usuable response to 30hz, then you'd want your subwoofer to boost output below 30hz, rather than above 30hz. Otherwise, the subwoofer becomes simply a costly "tone control" - the listener could obtain the same boosted bass effect by rotating the bass control on the receiver/amplifier. That's why I haven't really used my RW-12 (it's been unplugged for months) because it doesn't really produce much deep bass beyond what my CF-4's can deliver. However, it was useful for movies and music with my smaller Pinnacle PN8+ which I ran before I got the CF-4s.

I'd assume the Sub-12 has more output than an RW-12 or entry level SVS at 30 hz-100 hz - because the Sub-12 is designed to complement the SLX - a 9 lb. speaker that I sincerely doubt has any useful DB output below 100-120 hz. So the Sub-12 needs to carry the 30hz to 100 hz duties - whereas larger main speakers wouldn't need that augmentation, and the appropriate subwoofers would be designed to emphasize lower octaves of bass than the Sub-12.

I've attached a frequency chart I made at home of my RW-12 with a Radio Shack sound meter compensated for low frequency errors. You'll notice that the output at 24-25 hz is actually a good 9-10 db higher than the output at 30hz. I'd wager the RW-12 has substantially higher output at 22-24 hz than the "sub-12", although the Sub 12 may indeed be a better tonal match for slimline or smallish main speakers/satellites.

RW-12%2040hz1.jpg

post-14106-13819264780994_thumb.jpg