What are correct speaker distances?

orgbrat

I just purchased a set of Synergy III S2 surround sound speakers for the rear of my home theatre room. The room is 14 foot wide with 9' ceilings. I am going to place each speaker at the top of the wall ( 7' or 8' location ) in each corner. So how far should the distance between the two surround speakers be or how far away from the side wall should each speaker be placed?

Steve Graddy

I sorry if I was unclear. Knowing the room is 14 foot wide with a 9 foot ceiling. Also knowing I am going to mount the Synergy S2 surround speakers on the back end wall at the 8 foot height location. My question is :

1) How far away from the adjoining side wall should this speakers be placed?

Example : Placing the speakers 2 foot away from the sidewalls would give me a 10 foot spacing between the two speakers. Would that be the correct spacing for the two surround speakers to give an optimal sound? Is each speaker far enough away from the side wall?

Steve graddy

ah yes, that makes more sense 2.gif

to be honest, the best way is to just try a few locations and see what you like. Having the surrounds as wide as possible gives you a more enveloping sound, but sometimes can make the rear center sound empty. As you move them in, the rear center fills up, but you get less of that surround feel.

I would suggest just putting them as far apart as possible and aiming them towards the main listening position...taking care that the dispersion of the speaker doesn't hit the wall (ie, don't put them against the side walls and point them forward, cuz the sound coming outta the side of the speaker is going to bounce and muddy the sound). If you feel that the rear center is too empty, then you can always upgrade to a 6.1 system (which adds another rear center speaker).

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, what DrWho says is basically how I set up by S-5's for rear channels. I have a 12' wide room and they are centered on omnimounts 18" from the side walls and 6" down from the ceiling and they are pointed down a few degrees until I found their "sweet spot".

Hope this helps, good luck with your set up.

Bob

you should note that in the Synergy manual the reccomended mount height for the surround speaker is 5'7" from the floor and no closer than 1.75' from the cieling. This means that in a 9 ft. room you shouldnt be mounting any higher than 7'3" from the floor.

And they are mounted flush against the wall... I am pretty sure they don't even have holes for the omnimount brackets (in case you care...).