Back from Star Wars - 1st movie since my Klipsch HT was setup:

kenratboy

And the verdict is:

My system is better than the theaters (and this is a very good theater, plenty of subwoofer power, good EAW's).

Basically, my system is better, but not a whole lot (but noticable). I seriously think there was something limiting the system (and pretty much every theater I have been to) in terms of a compressor or gate of some sort. The dynamic range in my system is pretty scary, and the theater did not have as much force and dynamics (as in, there was a 'cap' somewhere, probably a good idea for whoever owns those speakers!!! 11.gif ) The dialouge clarity in the theater is good, but mine was better. My system sounds more open and clear.

I did notice, in my system, and in the theater, there is a very small amount of noise coming thru during dialouge with very little other sound (I noticed this in 5th Element, but not The Incredibles on my system).

Oh, I did not remember theaters being that quiet - my system has a lot more potential for output over the theater 9.gif

Only thing the theater has I don't is a popcorn machine and a screen the size of a basketball court 2.gif

Many home theaters are better than the commercial theaters. Theater chains will have to upgrade or else lose customers. They plan on speanding 3.2 billion dollars over the next several years to go all digital projection and sound.

Bill

I saw Sith today and my ears HURT when I got out. The last fight sequences and orchestra were so loud and grating to my ears. I also notice that the sense of movement seems much greater with my HT, probably due to proximity to speakers, dynamic range and the angles inherent with a much smaller room.

In general, I prefer movies at home anymore- and the seats are better and the snacks cheaper. Cost $14 for matinee, popcorn and soda today. For price of two, I could OWN the movie.

But sometimes it is nice to see first runs on the REALLY BIG SCREEN!

Michael

----------------

On 5/24/2005 10:48:29 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

Many home theaters are better than the commercial theaters. Theater chains will have to upgrade or else lose customers. They plan on speanding 3.2 billion dollars over the next several years to go all digital projection and sound.

Bill
----------------

Many home theaters ON THIS FORUM - but certainly not 99% of HT's out there 2.gif

A $300 HTiB is not going to sound better than a decent, well-run commercial cinema.

Home theater if done right (with Klipsch and 5.1 to 7.1) and if the room meets minimum size/sound absorption reflection requirements should beat a commercial theater in sound hands down. Picture however can be a challenge with the size of the screen and the quality possible with film. This is changing as front projection keeps getting better and cheaper. For a commercial theater the task so much bigger, having to try to present a much larger sweet spot, much larger room and on amps that wont over heat in the long run. Most commercial theaters sound systems are unable to represent bass lower than 35Hz. They are more concerned with output to fill the theater than depth. I have been to some very good theaters, while sitting in prime seats, which will beat in terms of perceived size of picture and but not really approach the Reference series 7 in sound.

Here is my advice to movie theaters

La Scalas all the way around with 8-10 of the 18 inch pro subs Klipsch has. I think sound is more important than screen size with todays 5.1-7.1 soundtracks. When I finished my first home theater I was using a 13 inch tv but with KLF 20s, C7 center, SB3 as rears it was incredible. Now I have La Scalas for my front and center speakers with KLF 20s as my rears with a RSW 12 sub and even though LOTR-Return of the King had a bigger picture I enjoyed it more at home with a 34 inch tv. Don't get me wrong watching the new star wars movie on the big screen was great but when it comes out on DVD and I watch it on my measly little 34 inch tv with my HT set up it blows away the movie theater. You have so much more control over the sound at home is why it is better. Explosion not loud enough for you then turn up the sub, treble too bright turn it down, vocals not loud enough turn up the center speaker only, etc. I think I'll look into a 110 inch projection screen tv and when the quality and price equal my 34 inch I'll get one. Then I won't bother with movie theaters at all.

Xman

Now for those of you who have gone to a IMAX theater that is a experience you cannnot recreate at home!!! For those who don't know what it is imagine a screen that is ( not sure of these guesstamations) about 3 times higher and 2 times wider with a incredible sound system. The picture is crystal clear and sharp. The only downside is normal movies are not filmed using IMAX cameras so they can be shown on IMAX screens but they can only be blown up to a certain point. I saw Jurrasic Park at a Imax and seeing the TRex at life size is very cool!!

Xman

For those of you in LA or nearby, the KCAL 9 tv station is playing IMAX movies in HD (and on the SD feed). Last Sunday, I saw The Living Sea and Journey Into Amazing Caves. I looked at there website and haven't been able to find a schedule, but they're calling the series "HD to the Max". I expect that they'll show more this coming Sunday.

I get this station using my OTA antennae in southwest Riverside County.

It was excellent!

David

Around here (wisconsin), there is a chain of theaters (Marcus) that have a really big screen, they call it their Ultra Screen. Here is what their website has on them:

"The UltraScreens®, with razor sharp three-story tall picture, crystal clear digital sound and comfortable stadium seats are Marcus movie magic at its best.

The UltraView® auditoriums, with seating for 500, boast a screen 75 feet wide by 32 feet tall.

The UltraScreens® take moviegoing to a totally a new level of excitement that can never be experienced at home. The UltraScreens® are more than 500 times bigger than a typical 19television screen."

http://www.marcustheatres.com/ultrascreen.cfm

May not be Imax big, but they are all THX certified if I recall correctly, and boast a nice image.

I saw it in quote "THX" certified theater.

more like THX certified piece of ****! The sound was about as soft as a bose system. NO base, no volume, no nothing.

It was so disappointing I actually filed a complaint on the THX website.

Im so made I ruined that movie.