Please Help

DarkHelmet82

I just receved my promedia 4.1 a few days ago, and i have been noticing a static like crunching on certain applications. Usually when there is a large amount of bass. the static comes from the speakers. I have a creative live mp3+ soundcard. I heard that creative cards are known to emmit static, someone please help me. OH yeah when i recieved the speakers the main speaker.. tehone with tehvolume control etc. sounded like it had a loose piece inside. PLease help me i would really appreciate it. thanks

This message has been edited by DarkHelmet82 on 09-04-2001 at 10:59 PM

i just got your PM. When you say that it sounds like something is loose in the satelite with the cp-1, do you mean that if you turn it upside down you can hear something falling in it? Is the noise in the satellite or the control pod?

what programs cause the "crunching" sound? Is it distortion? If you have them blasting very loud with lots of bass, you can over do the sats and they just rumble and make not so good noises.

When the crunching sound happens, are you doinging anything like opening another program that could be taking prescious resources from the sound card? Is it only when you are playing music or DVD's or does this crunching happen like when you open say Internet Explorer and you have no music playing. If that is the case, it is not your speakers, it is your sound card.

If it turns out that your sat or control pod has something loose in it, klipsch will replace it, if they feel it is causing a problem.

I have school today so this is teh only reply i can give till 4 PM. hopefully some one else will help you troubleshoot.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want contact Amy. Email Amy or call Toll Free: 1-888-554-5665

Just do me a favor and run up my counter... I know that sounds sad but so is my site!

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

I beat DBvader to 600 posts!

I beat DBvader to 700 posts!

I beat DBvader to 800 posts!*

I beat DBvader to 900 posts**

(*does not matter anymore though)

(**ok, this is getting sad now)

When i turn it (it being the speaker with all the controls on it) upside down it sounds like somthing is falling inside of it. I hear the "static" when i play some songs, and some games. Also when i close america online the "goodbye" sounds a little distorted. Also For example in the opening scene of max payne the bass is very distorted. thanks for the help

This message has been edited by DarkHelmet82 on 09-05-2001 at 11:44 AM

Well, you should email amy cause it sounds like just got a bad set. Amy will fix you up, i guarantee it!

Are your pseakers really really loud when you ehar the distortion? i would just ask amy if you should send them back, especially if they are brand new.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want contact Amy. Email Amy or call Toll Free: 1-888-554-5665

Just do me a favor and run up my counter... I know that sounds sad but so is my site!

i coudl see that making a crackling sound, but i think he would have told us if his speaks were making his ears bleed and then they start to distort. but do check teh windows values. i keep my wave at 75% and my sound out at 65%. check to see what it has your bass and treble coming out at, go to the volume control and click on advanced uner play control, make sure that the bass and treble are centered. next, go to your equalizer, maybe in your sound card software or your MP3 player software... I use media jukebox for all my media playing needs and if i have the ten channel equalizer's pre amp at +4 or higher i start to get soem distortion. this could be it, i do not know where teh sound card equalizer lies though, sorry.

------------------

-justin

thanks for the help, I hear teh "static" when i put my ear close to the speakers, and no it happens even if the volume is under a quater of the way up. heres a good example. You know people that have boxes in there cars? And they have too much bass and u can hear a shaking like static from the bass? thats what it kind of sounds like. Also when im on AIM and get a message i hear static.

well, now i have come to the conclusion that there must be a sound card problem. what sound card do you have, how much ram, what processor, what os, etc. maybe we can work from there.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free: 1-888-554-5665

here are my specs,

1.2ghz amd athlon

256mb sdram

creative soundblaster live mp3+ soundcard

creative annilator 2 video

abit kt7a- RAID motherboard

2 hard drives both maxtor

and of course klipsch 4.1 speakers

Thanks for the help i appreciate it

This message has been edited by DarkHelmet82 on 09-06-2001 at 01:24 AM

well, we both have the same sound card. i have never had a problem with mine. i was kinda hoping for it to be somethiung weird so i could just say go get a new SC. have you tried hooking up your pros to say a cd player and checked to see if there is a lot of distortion? you can only do two speaks at a time, the fronts and then teh rears inless you want to go buy some y adapters, which is really pointless.

if you can get them to play perfectly clear with the cd player or mp3 player (any high quality music player with mini stereo out, eg a headphone output), then it is of course your computer.

if it is your computer then it must be a Equalizer that is off the hoook (messed up), some software conflicts, or hardware conflicts.

if it still sounds bad with the cdplayer then it must be the speaks, of course. what it could be is the amp or the pre amp. if that is teh case, give amy a ring via email. she is great.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free: 1-888-554-5665

Well i attached teh speakers to a portabl cd player and played an eminem cd, they worked great. then i put the cd into my computer and BAM static, so im assuming its the soundcard. Is there any way to fix this or do i have to dsh more money for a new soundcard, and if i do what soundcard shoul i get. I have the creative live mp3+.

well, i have heard only good things about the Acoustic Edge, even thinking of getting that myself... Your soundcard may be under warranty. i have attached some pics that will give you the info from creative. hope that they can help you, maybe just get you a new card. if you are forced to get a new card, then get the AE, for about 79 bucks i think. sorry we could not fix this.. maybe someone else will come here and give us a revelation on a fix.

------------------

-justin

ok i took to trying the tips justin gave in this topic to remedy my solution. when i used a cd player, the speakers sounded great. so it can't be wiring, i guess (although i'm still looking to replace this).

i took a look inside my computer, everything seems fine. the sound card is positioned 2nd from the bottom, with no card beneath it, and no card for two spots above it. so i pretty much ruled out the idea of interference from other cards.

upon closing the case and starting things back up, stuff sounded good - for a few minutes. now the fuzz is back with a vengeance.

i have a SB Live! value model. ick.

you both should move your sound card around to different ports to see if you might have noisy pci slots. this is what Dan F once recomended

------------------

-justin

dont you just love it how life makes so much sense? LoL! Glad to know that you were able to remedy it. Have you tried this yet DarkMelmet?

------------------

-justin

Well, that kinda proves taht it is a sound card problem. Not another hardware/software problem.

Reinstall teh card being sure to remove ALL sound blster drivers and programs. creative ahs a history of leaving a little of it selft on your computer. Once you have gotton rid of all the software i would take out the card from teh computer, make sure nothing is weird with it, loose in slot, loose wires, etc. then replace it into your computer. turn your computer on and install teh software and drivers for it. if this does not fix it then it must be the card and you can contact creative using teh info on the pics i posted above and they will help you out.

------------------

-justin

ok an update on the situation: it turns out everything isn't ok. i have the exact same problem as my fellow SB Live! user darkhelmet in that when my settings are at "2 speakers", they work perfectly. 4, however, is causing the buzzing.

my guess is that when both audio out jacks are in use, quality decreases. but why just the front left speaker?

but perhaps it's as justin mentioned before - a dirty power source.