Klispch through ebay

occam

What do forum members think about buying Klipsch (4.1's specifically) through ebay-- for example: refurbished, open box, near new, etc. I would think that there is no warranty with these items, but the prices seem good.

This is risk and you are correct that Klipsch warranty would not apply.

With this in mind I could see someone on Ebay selling a set they got for Christmas or a birthday that has been un-opened.

I have seen a few were someone got a set from a parent or other family memember but when they saw the size of the box they put it on Ebay. Usually the line "I live in a small apartment".

If the above is true in the add you just made on hell of a deal provided the price it right.

Don't get me wrong, if I saw a set of 4.1's or 2.1's for $20.00 I would pick them up as long as the shipping was in line and the user had good feedback. Still risky but at an amount I could stand to lose.

Greg

So far I've purchased 5 separate Klipsch 2.1 systems from ebay. All have been great sounding. Some have had minor issues like missing grill covers or having the center of the speaker cones dented. But they all sounded great.

On average, including shipping, I paid about $30 - $40 per system and 90% of that was for the shipping. Lots of great deals to be had. But you need to be willing to take a risk. All the systems I bought were being sold "as is" and many of them also "untested". They could have been DOA but I've been lucky and I was willing to take the risk.

My advice is to be careful about those online vendors that sell used systems. Usually if it says anything about "as is", it's probably going to have some problems. Always read every single line of these online vendors' listings, since they are forced to tell you exactly what you're paying and paying for somewhere in that list. Pictures are also worth something if the speakers look abused.