Bi-amping, it's benefits, and multichannel music

JuHorvath

OK, I have decided to revise what I am going to do for a system once again. Boa, when you said this would get to be an expensive hobby, you sure weren't kidding! From looking at back posts it seems that bi-wiring produces minor at best improvement in sound quality. It also seems to be consensus that bi-amping can MAJORLY improve sound quality if done properly. I'm looking at a Marantz 7200 as a preamp and to run the rears/sides. I tenatively have decided on Marantz MA 500 monoblocks to run the RF7 mains and RC7 center.

The RF7's have a 102 sensitivity and the RC7 has a 98. Are these high enough that the 125w of the MA 500 monoblocks will be sufficient? Should I upgrade to 200w per channel? If so I can look into the MA 700's or maybe the Acurus amps that everyone has been talking about.

Now on to the bi-amping question. I believe that what I want to do is called "passive" bi-amping. I was thinking about using one monoblock to run the mids/highs and one to run the bass on the RF7's. Will this improve the sound quality significantly over just running a single amp to the speaker? I have read that you need an external crossover to maximize this but with the RF7's having an internal crossover of 2200 kHz will this be a problem or will it sound fine? I know I can do this kind of an idea with the monoblocks but is it possible with one of the Acurus 200X5 amps? If so, how would it work out? Has anyone compared the sound of the Acurus when paired with RF7's to what it would sound like with the Marantz monoblocks?

The last bit that I want to talk about is multichannel music such as DVD audio and SACD. If I have the following set-up:

RF7 mains

RC7 center

RF3 sides/rears

would this be more ideal for these formats then RS7's in the sides and rears? I believe multichannel audio, if done right, could be something I find myself really enjoying.

The last bit is for Boa. Since you are looking at getting the Denon 4802 as a preamp, what steered you in this direction? What features does it have that the Marantz 7200 does not and vice versa? I have changed my mind on what I'm going to do several times now and after doing some research into separates, feel this is the best way to go. If you let me know your logic behind the decision, maybe I can be swayed......Damn, this hobby is really starting to get expensive though!

Juan

sorry ju, missed your 1st post. i did go & get an acurus A200x5 offa ubid. they were going pretty much for 8-$900 but none on there in the last few days. u could shop there though & get whatever acurus u need even for biamping. i've never done that but imagine u should keep the amps matched to the same speaks. but the acurus on ubid seemed to me like much better deals than marantz amps. though if u get that 7200 you'd have some power control by using the marantz amps.

haven't decided on which preamp or receiver as preamp yet but really like the features of the 4802 over the new marantz mainly due to the adjustable crossover & the 7 powered channels vs. 6. also like the A&B surround hookup on the denon for future expansion.

also has some added dsp features like thx post-processing. main thing though is the listening test vs marantz, though it'd just be a preamp for 5 channels & amp for only the rear center.

not ruling out a seperate preamp/processor though along

w/ another acurus amp like the A200x2. waiting to check out that new aragon stage 1 if they ever release any specs from cedia cwm35.gif

Boa, with most Klipsch speakers, is there much difference between 200w and 125w? How is the sound? Do you find the Acurus line to be significantly better then your Marantz 8000 set-up? I will only really be using the receiver to run the sides/rears. Do you feel it would be worth waiting until the new RF3's with the Monster interconnects come out or just get the old versions? I am very interested in playing around with the new DVD audio and SACD formats because I think there will be a lot that of great material done in the studios to take full advantage of these mulitchannel set-ups. Still have no info on the new 8200 or the 9200 pre-amp from my dealer but hope that I will be able to get something soon.......

Juan

i think a 125w acurus or marantz power amp is more than enough for any klipsch speak. both pack a lot of power/current which is the real key, though hard to find in specs. even harder to discern power in receivers as my 110W rated sony de935 has no where near the power of my rated 105W marantz sr8000.

haven't got the acurus yet, but i'll try it 1st w/ the marantz sr8000 & keep u posted.

haven't heard the new rf-3, so that's a judgement call of whether the new wire & other features are worth the extra $50 msrp. may make the old rf-3 an even better deal.

& i'd make sure the new receiver or preamp has enough direct inputs for future use w/ dvd audio &/or sacd.

denon 4802 has 8 including sub input.

some other things i like 'bout the 4802 is the ability to record analog from digital sources (no extra analog connects needed) & the digital/analog auto detect. don't know if the new marantz have those, but my sr8000 does not.

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-10-2001 at 08:33 PM