S-Video & Composite VIdeo Connections

Fried Elliott

Like Boa, I too am a bit confused about the S-video and composite video connections between my Sony Trinitron television (monitor) and my HT gear.

I have two "no alternative" devices feeding composite video to my AVR: the cable box and the VCR. If I hook up composite video from everything to everything, I get picture no problem.

I then hooked up an S-video cable between the DVD player and the AVR, and another between the AVR's Monitor Out and the monitor, and removed their corresponding composite video cables. I guess I was expecting the AVR to use S-video when the DVD was the source, use composite connections for everything else, and feed S-video to the Sony. However, from what I can tell, I wasn't getting video to my monitor, no matter what the input source. I also tried S-video into the monitor's Video 1 and composite into Video 3, switching the video input on the monitor when I switched at the AVR but still nothing. What I didn't try was playing the DVD S-video directly into the monitor.

In thinking it through, I now realize the AVR is not going to "convert" a composite input video signal to S-video. But I thought there was some sort of signal presence/precedence logic so that if a S-video input was present it would route it to the S-video Monitor Out and if my Sony monitor detected a signal on the S-video connection it would use it preferentially over the composite connection (assuming Video 1 had been selected on the Sony).

After some more reading, I am now getting the sense that if I have ANY composite video inputs to my AVR, then it will not use the S-video Monitor Out? If I do hook up the DVD player directly to the monitor using the S-video, do I lose any video processing functions having now bypassed the AVR? (The DVD and AVR audio channels are hooked up via the optical digital link and that works fine.)

As I said, I'm confused.

MONITOR

Sony 32" Trinitron KV32TS36 (Oct 1993)

Video 1 (rear): S-video, Composite video, audio L&R

Video 2 (front): Composite video, audio L&R

Video 3 (rear): Composite video, audio L&R

UHF/VHF (rear): F-connector

HT

Denon 1800 AVR: everything connection under the sun (except component video)

Denon 1000 DVD: S-video and Composite video out; optical and analog audio out

Toshiba VCR: Composite video in and out; L&R analog audio in and out

Cable setbox: Composite video and UHF/VHF video out; L&R analog audio out

This message has been edited by Fried Elliott on 09-10-2001 at 11:05 AM

since your dvd player is your only s-video source, hook it up directly to s-video (video-1) in on your sony tv, and you can use composite monitor out from your a/v receiver for your other composite sources, hooked into video-3. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

NEW! sony playstation 2!

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

ksps6surrounds 'teens sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Fried -

I have the solution for you :-) I had the same problem on my HK AVR510. This receiver, and most others, will not convert the signal from s-video to composite and vice versa. There are some newer models out that are supposed to do this but I am not sure if they have been released yet.

Anyway goto Radio Shack and get a composite to s-video converter. They should be by where they have all the s video, coax, and optical home theater hookups. They cost $20 or so. There are more expensive ones available on the web ($140) but I don't know how much better they are.

So what I did for both my VCR and digital cable box is get a short 1' RCA male to RCA male cable, plug this into the composite to s video converter and then run a s video cable from the converter to the receiver. Then run a s video cable from the monitor out to the s video input on your tv.

I have my DVD player, PC video out, the cable box, and a VCR all connected to my AVR with s video and then to the TV. This allows me to use the AVR to switch between all these sources without having to touch anything on the TV.

EDIT - In case it was not obvious all the sound is also running thru the AVR also (I do not use the TV speakers at all for any source although I could). Radio Shack also has a S-video cable with optical cable attached (used for DVD palyer) and a s video cable with L/R RCA cables attached (used for cable box and VCR). Using all s video allows the higher defination s video signal of the DVD player to be used. NOTE - the composite to s video converters will not upgrade the signal to s video resolution. They only convert the composite signal to be used on a s video signal input.

Hope this helps.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC