Will the subwoofer affect the sound of the L speaker

Arman

Hi all,

I've got a stupid question...I want to know if the subwoofer's position will affect the sound waves coming from my left floorstanding speaker (left hand side of viewing position). My speakers are arranged: left speaker, sub, TV w/ center on top, dvd player and amp, and right speaker. The sub is basically in between the L speaker and the TV (too boomy in the corner). Since my L speaker will have to be angled a bit towards the listening position, will that affect the sound of the L speaker or the bass?

I'm worried about the sounds intercepting each other, etc.

Thanks in advance!

-Arman

Nope, energy in the form of waves be it sound, water, vibrations on a string or earthquakes can not "collide" They simply pass though each other as if the other wave did not exists. However at the point they are in contact, the amplitude of the two waves becomes a single wave with average amplitude of the two only during the time they are in contact.

Waves can cancel or amplify each other if they are similar in frequencies and direction. That why it is important to have your subwoofers in phase with each other so they dont tend to cancel one another out. But once sound waves pass though each other they resort back to their exact former amplitudes. Waves only effect each other during the duration they are in contact. Furthermore, the only aspect of the wave that is affected is the amplitude which is simply volume. The frequencies or sound quality will be unaffected. The only important thing you have to worry about in your system is phase shifts. If your speakers are all the same distance to your ideal listening seat or position, you have nothing to worry about.

Thank you! That helps alot!

I was worried about collisions, etc. (it's been awhile since I've had a physics class - and we never really talked about sound in there...)

I've got another question - the tile on my floor has uneven heights, one tile might be slightly taller than the other creating an uneven surface, this causes my sub and L speaker to not sit on the floor flatly. Can I put a rubber mat or piece of carpet (measured and cut to match the dimensions of the sub/speaker)? Will this affect the sound waves or quality??

Thanks in advance!

Well if you want to go a simpler route you can try putting objects under the speaker so that weight is resting on every foot. Correctly coupling your speakers to the floor is a good thing and can even result in more bass. I wouldn't suggest putting carpet or a rubber mat down simply because the uneveness will still be there. I personally stack cut up 3x5 notecards, but most anything will work.