Aussie power cables. TECH PLEASE READ!!!

akelsall

Hi. I live in Australia.

I just got my 4.1's; w00t for me.

I recieved what I can only call a US power cord. Not knowing exactly what the US outlet looks like, I can only say that it is NOT Australian.

Anyway, it has the standard computer plug on the other end minus the middle pin.

So my question is, is it safe to use an Australian standard computer power supply cable with sockets for 3 pins when the sub only has 2 pins???

Thanks for your time.

This message has been edited by akelsall on 09-12-2001 at 02:49 AM

Just to add to akelsall's post. Here in Australia we use power sockets which are rated at 240 Volts~60Hz and the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1's use/prefer 230 Volts~50Hz.

The power cord supplied with the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1's is the European standard plug and did not connect to the Australian standard (pictured below).

So we have replaced the European Cord with one from our PC's (used to connect the Computer's Power Supply to the power point).

As the voltage is 10 Volts more than required is this safe over time?

Example of the Australian Power Supply Socket:

m7164.gif

Example of current form of connection to the Klipsch ProMedias (normal Australian standard connector on other end).

m7060.gif

Thanks Amy & fellow forum junkies,

CBC

------------------

PC Fusion Australia - http://www.pcfusion.com.au/

"Thats a nice dress, Can I talk you out of it?"

This message has been edited by CBC on 09-13-2001 at 02:48 AM

oh ok.

did the part of the cord that you plug unto the sub have the exactly the same end as the one pictured above. ie, did it have 3 sockets or two and did the part in the wall have 3 plugs or 2?

did yours come from innovision via your retailer. did innovision's name appear on the label or anything at all?

bluedraco: Interesting, where did you buy yours from?

akelsall: I think that pretty much answers our question. If he is using an Australian Plug from power point straight into the ProMedia's than 240 volts ~ 60Hz must be fine. I'd still like to have confirmation from Amy just to be 100% sure.

CBC

------------------

PC Fusion Australia - http://www.pcfusion.com.au/

"Thats a nice dress, Can I talk you out of it?"

i got mine for Millenium Audio Visual here in Canberra and their retailer is the Klipsch authorised one (N.E.T. in Melbourne)...

$650 and very good service...there is a computer shop (Cougar - www.cougar.com.au) that sells them for $625 and they are EXCELLENT...i didn't get from them as i had already pre-ordered from Millenium but Millenium matched their price (instead i just have the extra $25 as credit at the moment)...