Klipschhorn-Amps matching

rune

I'll bet it sounds good, HORNS love tubes!

I have an very old Blaupunkt radio with an EL34 tube and it has that natural sounding mid-range too.

Keep us posted...

------------------

horns, tubes, subs, leather couch & female vocalists

Earlier you had asked about old Luxman gear:

My previous amp was a Luxman LV-117 integrated amp (not the hybrid model -- it was all ss). However, it was driving RF-3's, never KHorns, so please accept my observations with reservations.

Compared to the tube gear I'm currently using (VTL IT-85), the Luxman was too bright (harsh even). It wasn't as detailed, and everything seemed smeared together (again, comparing to the VTL). The soundstage was big enough, but not very stable. I bought the Luxman around 1990, and I was told by a salesman once that the LV-117 came out right before some significant technological advances were adopted by the industry; whatever that means.... The bass handling was great on the Luxman (I, too, listen to a lot of rock), but its tightness wasn't worth the other deficiencies.

I don't know about newer Luxman gear, but I'd stay away from the older stuff. For the price, you can do much better. The only other SS gear I've had a chance to audition extensively is the Audio Refinement Complete integrated amp. Very dynamic, tight all around, huge and solid soundstage, very detailed. A very musical sound that was allegedly designed to approach the warmth of tubes, but it made some very harsh sounds with the tweeter horn on my RF-3's.

Now that I've gone the way of the tube, I wouldn't go back to SS if you paid me. Good luck with your decision.

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently got a new amp,and what a amp!!!

It's RCA monoblocks with 2 KT66 each side,and it's made around 1960..It sounds so amazingly good that I have to wonder what the heck companies these days are doing..Are we going backwards?

Play that funky music!

Runecwm27.gif