Sonic Impact and monitors

franz73

Hello from Italy. I immediatly apologize for my english!

This is the question: I bought a solid state amplifier; It's the Sonic Impact T-Amp. They say it's a good one (not only for beginners). These are the declared specifics:

Power with external source: 15 watt/channel on 4 ohm

THD: 0.04% (@ 1 kHz, 9 watt, 4 ohm)

Dynamic range: 102 dB

I need to buy monitors for my home recording studio.

I subscribed a forum of audiophiles here in Italy and they said I need high sensitivity (efficiency) monitors possibly 4 Ohms. They suggested klipsch! What do you think about? What kind of klipsch could I buy?

Thanks2.gif

Small used Heritage models like Heresy, Forte, or larger KG3s, Chorus, Cornwall, Belle, LaScala, Khorns for quality, Although there are people who say recording engineers should have to listen to the systems end users have cheap boom boxes or HT in a box units!

10.gif

I don't think I would use anything klipsch as a studio monitor...not that klipsch is bad, but because a different kind of listening goes on in the studio than when you're at home trying to enjoy the music.

What kind of budget are you on and what kind of studio will you be running? These two factors will pretty much be what determines what you will need. I would scratch the whole Sonic Impact amp idea and go with something powered (like Event 20/20s or Mackie 828s). Probably the hardest thing to do in the studio is to get the bass to transfer well to other systems so you might consider investing in really good headphones...that is if you don't plan on going all out with the acoustics in your studio.

Btw, don't pick a studio monitor that makes the music sound the best to you, but pick a studio monitor that when you make it sound as good as possible that it will translate well to people listening in their cars, at home, on the radio, etc etc...Just keep a minimalist approach with the EQ's and effects (even try to mix everything in one take) and then rely on good mic technique and DACs to get it sounding right...the studio monitor should be there to reveal any flaws that need fixing. It will probably take you a few albums to get an idea of what translates so always listen to your mixes on as many sound systems as you have access too.