Base Boards

kde

Due to ceiling issues, I am planning to run 16 gauge wire behind the baseboards and up the wall to my surrounds and backs.

Anyone have any advice before I begin the process? Specifically, how to pull the baseboards off the wall and is there room behind the baseboards to lay the speaker cable and still have the baseboards mount back in a flush manner?

Typically the dry-wall doesn't go all the way down to the floor...if it does you can just stuff the cable underneathe and there is no need to worry about bending the tips of the drywall. There should be plenty of room to keep things flush.

Do you plan on painting the room? Getting the baseboards off is pretty hard to do cleanly without breaking the them so you'll probably want to end up painting before you put it back together. You'll need to work slow and pull at all the nail points if you want to reuse the baseboard.

if the room is carpeted, you might just be able to push the wires between base and carpet, there is a little gap there. If you have to remove baseboard, carefully cut the top edge with a util knife where it meets the wall, there will be a paint bead or possibly caulking between the two. If you don't, you might peel hunks of paint/plaster from the wall. This could get messy.

How about crawl space to route lines?

M