How to read the voice print in Winamp?

the_h_man

I just discovered it yesterday and it's pretty cool to watch while you listen. I'm wondering though, how exactly do you read it, and what exactly does it represent?

It seems the bottom level is the lower freaquences, and the top, higher. The tighter then dots appear together the louder the sound, and what I would say the combined waveforms of a sine/sawtooh type wave produces very tight bands that are parallel to each other. Also, echos appear to be slightly blured in one direction.

Is there a guide on the internet that has more info? Also, the WinAmp voice print dosen't seem to be very accurate all the time, is there some cool app somewhere where you can display sound print, waveforms, etc?

Okay, after spending a bit more time this is what I've seen.

Typically you'll see a strong vocal part as three very bright parallel lines running the bottom area of the read out. Hard c's, making that "ch" sound usually form noticeable verical bands, usually numbering in pairs. Any symbols create alot of noice towards the middle area, and sharp keys in panio solos sometimes create noticeable vertical discrepacies.

The attached I have as an example, I resized it a bit from the original screen shot but it lost alot of detail.

In the music there is a panio solo that I've hilighted with green. The three peaks and falls are each one note, and the strange bend arrows indicate a decending (cord?). The next is when the female vocals come in. The yellow area is the inhalation, the red what I can make out as her actual speech. I've found that female voices usually range in that area, perhaps a little higher. The waves indicate the varing tone of the speech, and the blue area is what I told you already about, the had c sounds.

There are alot of other things, I'm still trying to nail tight parallel lines that run in the 10's... But untill I find a guide on how to really read these, this is what I've made out.

View?u=521908&a=3821188&p=40452736