sub-10 performance

PaulS

I just got the SUB10 today. It was to replace my old 8" Yamaha front firing sub. Well I did a test on music and movies. I think there's a problem. I can tell I'm not really getting the "high" end of the bass notes. This is very apparent listening to a bass guitar. I have the crossover on the back set to high, which is 120Hz. I looked at the crossover knob on the yamaha, and it was around the same. But the yamaha sounds better with the notes. Sure the sub10 booms some in the movies, but I feel there is a range of sound now missing. I have the Quintet II system on a pioneer 1014TX using the sub/LFE connection to the sub. I almost want to keep the yamaha now. Any help?

Its probably a difference crossover, the Yamaha may have used a first or second order crossover while the Klipschs is probably a much steeper cut off or simply a 100% halt altogether, its best to let the receiver to the crossover so you need to turn off the crossover on the subwoofer and set it up in your reciever.

what you're most likely hearing is a flatter response with your system. That little 8 inch "subwoofer" was probably never putting out much output below 80Hz and so you had it cranked up higher so that it sounded like you had bass. Now you've got a larger sub that can dig deeper and what you are percieving as too much low end is really that your low mids are no longer over-exagerated.

One other thing I would check is the phase on your sub. Try turning that phase dial a bit and see if you notice the upper range of the subwoofer starting to blend better with your mains.

I was thinking along those lines. Maybe the 8" handled my low mids better in conjuction with the quintets, which don't have that much. With the sub10, it made this hand off of frequency more pronounced. I've tried setting the phase, which can only be set to 0 or 180. Now I'm thinking about running the Yamaha and the sub10. I'll lower the crossover point in the sub10 so both subs don't combine that much of the bass frequency. I'll split the LFE signal to both subs. Interesting I just saw a post on this very setup. What timing.

Klipsch Quintet micro sats have little to no output below 120Hz,a tiny boomy sub like the Yamaha you had was probably giving you the impression you had linear response.Since these 8" weakling subs have often increased response around 80-120Hz and little to nothing below 35Hz.

You simply got used to this sound and now when you hear a much flatter,even sub find this unatural.I do not know your receiver but if you can adjust the crosso0ver frequency set it to 120Hz.And theKlipsch sub should be set to the highest cutoff point to let the receiver do the cutoff part.

Even if the sats produce little very little bass output be sure to adjust the phase on the sub correctly.Listen to music with plenty of upper...bass and make sure there is no cancellation.Even this creates frequency holes.

Good luck