Klipsch's Vs. Boston Acoustics

Captain Ahab

Let me first start off by saying I would consider myself a "moderate" audiophile. I believe sound is an extremely important aspect of entertainment, and since I listen to, and enjoy almost all genres of music and movies I find good speakers especially important. I do not, however, take apart my recievers, modify my speakers, or install fiber optic cable throughout my home so I can create my own neverland fantasy theme park.

That said, I have owned, and enjoyed, two pairs of Multimedia Speakers. The first were the Boston Acoustics Media Theatre Speakers. Just this november I replaced them with a pair of Klipsch's. I was looking to get a 4 speaker system for my puter and I had heard a lot of rave reviews. I was mildly cautious however, as many of the rave reviews came from 15 year old gamer's whos' only experience with sound and musical reproduction was the bouncing of their cousin's rockford-sub loaded trunk.

I did however, see several respectable reviews from respectable people, so I took the plunge.

When I first started playing some Cat Stephen's "Peace Train" I was taken by surprise at how dynamic the speakers sounded. My Boston Acoustics were very flat. While this is usually a good thing, it doesn't have the same energy as a live performance. The differences between Cat Stephen's voice, and the guitar were much more pronounced, much more like a live performance. The Boston Acoustics sounded more like you were listening to your music in a padded wall room, with a thin layer of silk between you and the speakers. The klipsch's', I will admit definitely colored the sound a bit, but I wouldn't say it was neccessarily in a bad way. The sound was more akin to "Movie Theater sound", very well defined highs, and deep powerful bass. I would attribute the "energy" of the satellites to the horn-mounted tweeter. This brings me to my next point, when I played Orchestral music, or music with a lot of high notes on it, they would often clip, and struggle to play them. The klipsch's never clipped once, even during the loudest trumpets and highest piano notes.

I was a bit dissapointed with the midrange PRESENCE, but not the quality. In some pieces the subwoofer seemed to overpower the satellites (particuarly in rock), this was annoying at times, but it depends a lot on where the sub is placed. Right now my sub is sitting in what is essentially a 3 walled reflective chamber (the back of my hutch with two walls meeting at the sub. (The subwoofer is in the corner). When I had the sub under my desk this was not a problem. I imagine if the promedias had the same mediocre high-end of the tweeterless Boston's and the same sub, you would find that the system would sound much more "flat." I personally find the much less compressed dynamic range of the satellites more pleasing to my ears. And most importantly, I don't have to worry about clipping during brass-heavy music, and I can enjoy room shaking when Warren G is regulatin'

Both systems are great, but if I prefer the energized feel of the promedias to the flat, unexciting sound of the Media Theaters. My only regret is that the satellites could have been a little louder in proportion to the sub.

Gah, forgot to proofread hehe. Here are the fixes:

"This brings me to my next point, when I played Orchestral music, or music with a lot of high notes on it, they would often clip, and struggle to play them."

I am reffering to the Boston Acoustic Digital Media Theatres here.

"Both systems are great, but if I prefer the energized feel of the promedias to the flat, unexciting sound of the Media Theaters."

This should read "But I prefer the energized feel" no "if"

Gah, forgot to proofread hehe. Here are the fixes:

"This brings me to my next point, when I played Orchestral music, or music with a lot of high notes on it, they would often clip, and struggle to play them."

I am reffering to the Boston Acoustic Digital Media Theatres here.

"Both systems are great, but if I prefer the energized feel of the promedias to the flat, unexciting sound of the Media Theaters."

This should read "But I prefer the energized feel" no "if"

nice review capn.

i think you've basically summed up the klipsch sound, the difference between klipsch speakers in general and others.

if you're looking for flat response, don't look to the Klipsch. but if you enjoy dynamic music, go for it.