RP-3 Wiring

VegasShawn

I wired my speakers up like this, because I had a problem with using the clips with my Yamaha RX-V1000 (Another post in troubleshooting...ANYWAYS)

This is what I did, and it sounds just fine. Just want to make sure it's ok.

Yamaha RXV-1000 Receiver.

Front Speakers set to Large (Does NOT use SUB-OUT when set to this.)

Speaker wire hooked to "HIGH" speaker level input, clips removed between high and low speaker inputs.

LINE-OUT to LINE-IN on RP'3s for low frequency, NON-LFE music like CD's, etc.

SUB-OUT to SUB-IN using a monster cable Y-Connector. This in theory only gets used when I play a DVD since I have LFE set to my subwoofer in the receiver.

According to my Yamaha manual, if you set your front speakers to SMALL, anything under 70hz gets sent through the subwoofer output, but if you set them to LARGE, it will just send everything through the mains.

So what I end up with is this:

CD Music - Highs through speaker wire and lows through line-input

DVD w/LFE - Highs through speaker wire, NON-LFE low frequencies through line-input and LFE signals to SUB-Input.

Anyone see any problems with this?

vegas do u mean line out on the rp or line out on the yamaha? anyway please see my post on your other thread.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

2-KLF C7 (front center & rear center)

Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HTS1000 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

rock on!

Here is a pic to help explain what I am talking about.

rp3_connect.jpg

According to the Klipsch manual, both the LFE-IN and LINE-IN control the only the powered subwoofer.

SO, in this case, I am setting my speakers in my receiver to LARGE. By doing this, my recevier will NOT send any signal through the SUB line that is NOT LFE-Related, like from DVD or whatever. SO, I take the clips off and use the speaker wire on the HIGH terminals. I do this because this is the way the manual states to do it.

The LFE should only get used for 5.1 applications like DD or DTS when I play a DVD, or with DD on my Satellite.

I just want to make sure that this hookup is ok and that noone sees a problem with it.

vegas, that hook-up is not ok & probably the reason your receiver is shutting down due to the load it's getting. use either line in or lfe in, NOT BOTH. i'd use LFE IN as it's a nonfiltered sub section input (don't let the term LFE IN fool u. it's just a nonfiltered sub input which you should use w/ the receiver's filtered sub output).

please see my post on your thread under trouble for my recommended hook-up. that includes leaving the gold straps on which is compatiable using only the rp LFE IN (as per rp manual).

as for the yamaha bass management, i'd set fronts small

& LFE to sub only. LFE then only goes to the sub out where it belongs. & low bass (non-lfe, below the yam's crossover of 70 or 90hz, whichever) will also go only to the sub out. this way you're not sending LFE or that low bass to the rp's mid cone & tweeter.

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-18-2001 at 11:55 AM

Well, here is my problem. This is the ONLY way I could get one of my speakers to work at all! If I JUST used the speakers wires with the clips ON, with nothing plugged into either the line-in or sub-in is when I got the problems.

Here is what the manual says about my setup (This is the official manual from the Klipsch website):

"LINE IN

This input is only used to drive the powered subwoofer portion of your RP-3 or RP-5. Using this

connection will generally result in improved clarity and definition in the bass. This input should be con-nected

to a non-filtered (full range) subwoofer or main channel pre-amp output on your electronics.

Note: If you use a mono subwoofer output to feed both left and right subwoofers, any stereo bass infor-mation

will be reproduced as a mono signal. When using this input, remove the gold metal coupling

straps that join the two pairs of binding posts and connect your speaker cable only to the HIGH IN

speaker terminals. The LINE IN input must not be your only connection to the speaker. This input

can also be used in conjunction with the LFE input described below."

"LFE IN (optional)

This input is used with the newest 5.1 (six channel) surround sound systems. The LFE channel contains

bass effects information that is different than the bass signals present in the other channels to enhance the

soundtracks impact. The LFE IN input on the RP-3 and RP-5 requires a low pass filtered signal (high

frequencies removed) from your electronics subwoofer or LFE output. Do not connect this input to a full

range (unfiltered) pre-amp output. The peak level of this signal can be up to 10 decibels louder than main

channel bass signals, so caution should be exercised when connecting to this output and initially adjusting

the BASS CONTOUR control. The LFE IN must not be the only connection to the speaker. The

SPEAKER IN and LINE IN connections are the primary hookups. The LFE IN is compatible with

either line level or speaker level connections."

SO, according to the Klipsch Manual, this should be perfect, right?

According to the manual, the LINE-IN is "filtered" internally in the speaker. I guess that is why it says you can use "or main channel pre-amp output on your electronics." and "The LINE IN input must not be your only connection to the speaker."

This message has been edited by VegasShawn on 09-18-2001 at 12:19 PM

vegas, i have the manual here. well, 5 of em Smile.gif.

that can't use only line in means u have to also hook up the speaker level terminals. try as I recommended under your other thread under trouble shooting.

i wouldn't use the rp line ins at all. just the lfe ins from your receiver sub out along with the top speaker level terminals connected w/ wire from your receiver front posts & leave the rp top & bottom speaker terminals connected w/ the straps or wire.

I understand what you are saying. Really. I'm not trying to argue. Here is the problem a little more clearly:

PROBLEM:

If I use the clips on my right speaker, it doesn't matter what I do with any other inputs, my receiver turns itself off. If I ONLY use the speaker wire with the clips installed, my receiver turns itself off.

If if DON'T use the clips, everything is fine, but I need to use the additional LINE-IN functionality for the subwoofer to work, since my speaker wire is connected ONLY to the HI input.

If I ONLY use the speaker wire with the clips installed, my receiver turns itself off.

as long as the straps are connected correctly (verticle

& not horizontal), & there's no short in the speaker wire, this should not happen. try as above but

instead running the left channel's speaker wire to the right rp. set sub to no in the yammy. if the right speaker still doesn't function then i'd say u have a short in that specific rp.

btw vegas, was just trying to help & inform u. sorry i missed that on the clip thing working between your 2 threads there. Smile.gif

here are some points on the rp:

-the only time to disconnect the upper & lower speaker terminals (the straps) on the rp is when u use it's line input

-i would not use the line in as it's filtered (don't know what the line out in your yammy is about(?)

-the sub out goes to the lfe in as then u have a filtered output going to a nonfiltered input.

-u can & should leave the straps on the top & bottom terminals w/ speaker wire from fronts of receiver connected to the top speaker terminals.

-w/ the above, set sub yes & send lfe only to the sub output. i'd set fronts small though probably will make

no audible difference. then any low bass or lfe will be routed only to the sub out/rp sub section where it belongs.