New SACD-compatible pre-amp

jdm56

Wasn't sure where to post this, but here goes:

The new issue of Stereophile has a full report on the Sony 555ES SACD changer. Used along with the changer was the new TA-P9000ES pre-amp. This is an audio only pre-amp with two sets of 5.1 channel analog inputs. Info on this piece was sketchy, with no pics, BUT, it would appear to perhaps be just what many audiophiles who choose to keep their audio and video systems separate, yet who are anxious to enter the world of multi-channel music, might need.

I've scoured the internet and my nearest Sony ES dealer for more information on this component, but have had no luck. It's not even listed on Sony's web site yet. The list price, as reported by STEREOPHILE, is $700.

With the price of SACD players dropping into the sub $500 range, maybe the SACD era is almost upon us.

Just thought I'd pass the news along, for anyone out there that like me, is eager to start the upgrade to multi-channel music, but likes to keep his A and his V in different rooms.

------------------

JDMcCall

Colin,

Yeah, MORE! Like, maybe something with a built-in Dolby Pro-Logic II decoder. Also, on-board DAC's would be nice, to allow digital domain DPL II decoding, and other DSP. And while I'm on a roll, how about multi-channel in's and out's for external processors and/or SACD recorders? (eventually)

------------------

JDMcCall

What aggravates me is that these add-ons are needed in the first place. Bass management should either be in the player, or accessible in a pre-amp or receiver, and it should be done in the digital domain. Seems that the industry didn't quite get all their ducks in a row on this one. FWIW, all current Sony SACD players do have built-in bass management.

------------------

JDMcCall

Ha ha ha a SACD "compatible" preamp!

I have a SONY SCD-1 SACD player and a Audio Research LS25 tube preamp.I must buy a new "compatible" one so my CD's sound better! LOL

The SACD "compatibility" on preamps is just too funny.

ANY HIGH QUALITY PREAMP IS FULLY SACD COMPATIBLE,and I guarantee you all Audio Research preamps are more than just "compatible" they outperform the so called "compatible" ones.

TheEAR(s) Now theears is SACD "compatible"!

I do not understand this SACD compatibility thing as it applies to pre-amps.

From what I remember SACD's range is much larger than the old CD (which topped out at 20 KHz). The thing is that my speakers, amps, pre-amps and so on are ALL limited to 20 KHz. Will I need to change them all? Could I end up damaging any of the above components with an SACD player (or a DVD/a player for that matter)? Is there an additional limiter I can place on the system to shield the above components?

So many questions....

maxg

I doubt that your equipment is limited to 20 kHz high end. It is rated to 20 kHz, because that was the top end of hearing, according to many experts for decades, not counting Robert Fulton, who 20 years ago made speakers that extended to high-end to 45 kHz.

Your stuff may not play much above 20 kHz frequency and you may need to add super-tweeters to get those extended responses, but the really cool thing that the pre-amp above has is six channel inputs. This allows tweaking audiophiles to add a SACD player and a 6 channel pre-amp to their current systems, along with 4 more amps to enjoy 5.1 signals...

------------------

horns, tubes, subs, leather couch & female vocalists

Glad to hear of the YBA component...Another one I must check out!

To anyone who may have not read my original post carefully, by "SACD compatible" pre-amp, I am of course talking about MULTI-CHANNEL SACD. While the Sony SCD-1 is an outstanding machine, it is two-channel only. And Audio Research does build very high quality gear, and the LS-25 is superb, but again, it is strictly two-channel, and would require something like the new Sony TA-P9000ES, to adapt MULTI-CHANNELs> SACD players and discs to a two-channnel system.

------------------

JDMcCall

Thanks James,yes the Sony SCD-1 and Audio Research LS25 are superb pieces of audio gear,They bring me ah so close to audio nirvana.And with the Krell FPB600 and Spendor FL-10 speakers I can hear the angels sing.

Smile.gif

Quality audio is not cheap but worth the money,to me at least.

TheEAR(s) Now theears