6AN8 or 6AN8A tubes

Daddy Dee

I've been recently introduced to a new tube, well, new to my (limited) experience.

The rebuilder of my Mark III's has included NOS Ratheon 6AN8A tubes. From the little I've read on the internet, am I understanding correctly that these were in the Mark III's as original, too?

Is there any difference between 6AN8 and 6AN8A?

Have been thinking I'd pick up a pair for spares and the good news is that USA NOS are quite reasonably priced.

Is this tube one that is flavored much differently from manufacturer to manufacturer?

Any recommendations for the Mark III's?

On an additional tube topic with the Mark III's. In a conversation with the rebuilder, he was telling me he thinks the 6550's are the best choice for big ole horns, as compared to the KT88's. I thought this was an interesting comment. Anyone have a take or experience on this.

As far as potential for tube rolling, he recommends, if desired, vintage Tung-Sol, not new manufacture, 6550's. These things are fairly pricey and the Svetlana 6550's sound pretty dang good. Good enough to give that sense of "how could it get any better than this?" So that's pretty good.

Just as an aside, I've just listened to these Mark III's for a few hours.... but I have to say this Merlin driving them on Khorns is a deeply satisfying listening experience. What a great little brick of a preamp, killer in it's own right, and for the price... unbelievable. An excellent match for these Mark III's. Good enough to go gaga.

Hello, Dee,

The 6AN8 is appropriate for parallel-filament circuits and/or series circuits nor requiring controlled warm-up. For your application, either will work fine.

I SO want you to try KT90's in your Mark III's. Direct drop-in. Just re-bias. They provide a few more watts, much smoother bass, and no danger of rosy plates when your house current exceeds 117vac. Ask anybody who has tried them.

DR BILL