The Best FM-Multiplex Tuner

DRBILL

I just finished retrofitting two Dynaco FM-3 tuners with the Van Alstine recommended alterations. This was accomplished by "kits" supplied by Desmond Gillman whose wares can be had on e-bay in the Dynaco look-up. This brings the power supply up to standards, replaces some of the usual suspects such as coupling capacitors and undersized resistors. Most important, it changes the de-emphasis circuits in a major way. When the FM-3's were introduced, FM stations were rare, usually distant, of low power, and didn't have much to offer in terms of audio bandwidth. To cut down on noise, the FM-3's rolled off bass and treble very early. The kits correct this and bring the audio bandwith up to modern standards.

These kits, together with a careful, painstaking realighnment, produce the best multiplex FM receiver that I have ever heard. I would put it right up there against a Mac or a Marantz.

If you have an FM-3 mouldering on a shelf somewhere, you owe it to yourself to give this a go. I can remember few times that I have been so pleased with so few bucks spent.

DR BILL