Subwoofer malfunctioning. So what?!

whell

Funny how things hit you sometimes. My sub is primarliy used for HT, though my system doubles as my primary music source as well. The amp seems to be malfunctioning, clicking on and off at randon with a noticable "pop". So, I disconnected it, and changed the speaker set up on my receiver and DVD player to remove the sub.

And it still sounds great. Watched Oceans Twelve last night, with it's dynamic sound track. Didn't miss the sub at all. So, I'm debating replacing it, mostly because I don't have the extra green right now to pay to fix this one, or buy a new one.

I know I'm not going to get the extra "boom" on sound tracks with alot of audio effects (U 571 or Pearl Harbor, for instance). But I watch a movie with that kind of sound track only once every month or two.

What reasons should I reconsider replacing, or repairing, the sub?

----------------

On 8/14/2005 1:21:42 PM DrWho wrote:

does your sub have an auto on feature? I would try running it in an always on mode to see if that fixes the problem. What kind of subwoofer is it anyway?

----------------

It does have auto on, but it is not defeatable/switchable. It's a HSU Research VTF-2, Mark I. The mark II version upgrades the Sub with a BASH amp, and my understanding is that it takes care of this issue. However, at $250 for the upgrade, you're half way to a new sub.

I'm tempted to bypass the sub amp and run the signal from the receiver into a spare amp I've got laying around here. But, no real urgency because, as stated, it sounds pretty darn good right now.