5800 in walls

kentmjohnson

If architecturally you must go with in walls, I think those are the biggest currently made by Klipsch. There are several things to consider that do not make this an ideal match however. The KLF is a three way speaker, the 5800 is a two way, 5800 is reference components, so both of these items will give you a timbre difference. btw the KLF-C7 is a KILLER center speaker, I currently use one with my 4 Cornwalls.

More immediately noticable, however is that the KLF20 is 100db/watt efficient, whereas the 5800's are only 94db/watt. This difference of 6 db translates to 1/4 the loudness (each 3 db is a doubling). So even with modern amps and similar wattage, your surround speakers will be noticeably quieter than your mains. You might be able to balance this with your receivers controls, but it will not eliminate the timbre difference.

If space permits, I'd recommend staying within the exact same line and trying for a pair of KLF10's in the rear at least. Ideally you should shoot for KLF20's but that may become a budget issue.

Good luck- let us know how it works out.

Michael