surround speaker height

rich0372

hello everyone I have a 6.1 set up with klf30 up front klf20 as rears and c7s front and rear Since I'm using floor standing speakers as surrounds are they high enough they are about 7feet behind me but are not higher than my couch am I losing some sound my rear center in on a shelf about 6ft high Thanks Rich

Depends somewhat on the couch/ear position. If couch is not terribly tall, the sound from your rear speakers can reach your ears directly, which is the optimal condition. Height helps with that and also helps give a more 3D sound to the music by introducing H as a factor.

I have COrnwalls in the rear, but my Coaster recliners have pretty ample space between each unit for the sound to get through.

Michael

If you need to raise them to ear level, you could set them on top of cinder blocks. I had to do this for a while with some short floorstanders I was using as rears. They're not pretty, but they are cheap (about $0.70 ea) & acoustically dead. If you drape a cloth over the blocks, it doesn't look too bad.

I was sitting in my Coaster chair last night thinking about your situation and a litmus test for surround positioning.

In my case, my surrounds are 63 Cornwalls sitting on the floor, pretty low in the scheme of things. However they are positioned so that when I lean back in chair, there is a strait shot between the tweeters and my ears, unobstructed by the neighboring chair or my own headrest. It sounds fantastic.

Here's the test:

You should be able to look over your shoulder and SEE the tweeters in your surround speakers. If not, they should be repositioned.

Hope this helps.

Michael

not as long as they're all pointed at your ears, can you aim that center down a bit? Does your receiver take distance settings either auto or manual? I would think timing differences would be more audible than position clues, but both might affect the way you hear any sound sweeping across the rear soundstage.

Do you usually listen in reclined position, if so, then you're okay!

Michael