Help

neume

I'm new to the Forum and also new to building a home theatre system.

So far I have a 62" Mits DLP, and I bought a set of R-5800's

because I planned on buying RF-7 towers and an RC-7. However

since my purchase

of the R-5800's I found a pair of used KLF-30's and a KLF C7. (after

reading the forum I'd be a fool to pass them up). My

question is whether the R-5800's are a good match for the rear (since

I'm limited to in ceiling speakers for the rear). Also what are some

suggestions for a receiver. From what I've read in the

forum I should have something very efficient in order to get the best

out of the KLF 30's.

The front three speakers are the most critical to timbre match.

You can get matching surrounds for the KLF-30s on the used market.

Receivers with acoustic room correction help minimize but do not eliminate the timbre mismatch with surrounds. Surrounds are not heavily used in most movies, but multi-channel music is another matter. Matching surrounds do help immerse you in the movie, but are less critical IMO.

The KLF-30s are NOT video shielded, but the center channel is video shielded. Try to keep the 30s away from any CRT video display device.

DeanG and others o this board rebuild the crossovers on the KLF series. There is significant improvement in sound from such rebuilds with better parts.

Bill

It depends on your budget and tastes.

Take a look at the Pioneer Elite line of receivers. They are going through a model change from the 5x series to the 7x series. Their acoustic room correction is the most reliable, probably due to the fact that they started the trend. The older models should be discounted as a result.

Other brands to look at are Denon, Marantz and Harman Kardon.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for your help. What Recievers would you reccomend with the KLF 30's? Cost is somewhat of a concern however I want to be sure I have the right reciever in order to maximize the listening experience.

Craig

Craig I am using a pioneer elite with my klf30s it sounds good but, even better when you amp them when I was using just the reciever the bass was weak and the reciever would trip (at louder volumes) even when I set them to small with the crossover at 100hz

It's a different story after I amped them WOW I had loads of bass so you can get a reciever now (demo some to see what you like) THEN get an amp for you mains later

PS I got my crossovers upgraded by DeanG it is definately worth every penny no more harshness and tighter bass Rich