SOUND/PICTURE SYNC

DRBILL

I have never posted in this area, so please excuse an old vacuum tube relic asking obvious questions!

I can't claim to have a home theatre. We have a nice Sony HD CRT TV and a nice Sony HD SAT 300 tuner and a Sony 5 channel Dolby tuner feeding Klipsch Tangents L&R, and a Klipsch KSC-C1 center channel, and two old Sony 3 way surrounds at the back corners. It isn't a shabby set-up for two old 60+ "seasoned citizens" to go to sleep to every night.

But there is a problem. When watching the local off-air HD stations, the picture and the sound are often not synchronized. I'm guessing that it is the way the equipment processes the digital audio and video.

Anybody else noticed this effect? Can I do anything to improve this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

DRBILL

Welcome to the home theater forum Dr. Bill!!!!

You are correct in your supposition. Many video dsiplays process at a different rate than audio. Video is a 30 (29.97?) frames per second source. Movies shot on film are 24 frames per second. Many video displays have deinterlacers etc. Some times the DVD has a deinterlacer (progressive scan.)

Today, many receivers have an audio delay function built into the receiver to help cope. Long story short is that it is time to get out the receiver's manual to access the audio delay function.

Bill

Thanks Mac,

In addition to everything else, I need to get a new audio receiver. The Sony is c. 15 years old. I hope to get something that will interface with my HD stuff with fibreoptics. The Dolby system is considerably obsolete!

This, of course, wont improve the sync problem, but will make the system more interesting. The old Sony just wont quit or even slow down.

DRBILL