wall mounting KSB 2.1 and KSB 3.1

billfromreading

I need to wall mount my set of KSb2.1 and KSB3.1's for my home theater. I see a variety of after market brackets out there that will do the job but they all require the drilling of mounting screws into the back panel of the speaker. I am wondering if this will damage the speaker and if there any "safe" spots on the back of the speaker that would be ok to position the bracket. My alternative is to build shelving but I wist to avoid that if possible. Is there any technical information out there that would tell me how thick the back wall of the speaker cabinet is and if there this any danger of damaging wiring or speaker components if I drill four mounting holes?

I think the Omnimount brand have the correct thread size for the socket in the back of the speaker. My KSB1.1's have a threaded brass insert for this purpose. Make certain to get a bracket that accepts the weight of your speaker and I'd try to mount the bracket to a stud in the wall, not just drywall.

Michael

Bill, I had a KSC-C1 (the matching center for the series) shipped to me and it was moderately dropped. Woofer screws stripped right out. The MDF that these series is made of is very fibrousy and WILL NOT hold a wood screw very well.

I'd suggest removing the front grille (ice pick in a corner hole does nicely), remove the woofer carefully, and use large area washers and bolts through the back of the cabinet to support any mounting bracket. If you use wood screws into the cabinet back, they are likely to pull out, resulting in cabinet damage or injury to persons.

Checked my KSB instruction book (also available online) and it gives mounting hole template for all but 2.1 and 3.1 speakers. My guess is that Klipsch intended these for bookshelf or stand mounting only. How about a small shelf instead of the swivel mount? The swivels give positioning variability, but at the expense of the speaker hanging out into the room more.

Michael

Michael

Michael,

Thanks for the tip on how to remove the metal grill. I've looked at these speakers now for awhile and could not figure how to open them up without damaging them. And I like your idea of using bolts with washers to mount the brackets, that sounds like a winner.

Your thoughts concerning the MDF confirms mine, I don't trust that material to hold screws over the long haul either, and the last thing I need is to drop a 15 pound speaker on someone's head. It might damage the speaker.... lol

I was trying to avoid shelving, hoping to make the installation more professional looking and "cleaner" by use of wall brackets, so at the very least I am going to open up one of each and take a look see on the inside for clearances for mounting bolts.

Thanks very much for the advice, and the tip on how to open up the case without damaging the speakers.

Bill