Outlaw Model 990/Model 770 combo

ajcllc

I have visited the Outlaw website many times and lately they changed the monoblock name from 200 to 2200. I heard they may have changed the transformer inside to another type or brand.

A lot of people on a budget with inefficent speakers like outlaw for their power to cost ratio. A couple of those slim looking 2200 monos hooked up to my RF7's would be interesting but I'm saving for something else. Maybe not much feedback here because of the high efficency rating of Klipsch speakers and the tube lovers around here?

My system is a 2 channel with a sub so processors are not my specialty.

Good Luck on your audio adventure and let me know how it works out for you.

Outlaw equiptment is top quality electronics in plain cases. Many of the designs are used in much higher priced brands - same electronics - fancier cases. Their customer support is tops. Great reviews - make annual Stereophile recommended list along with equiptment many,many times their price. I have the old 1050 receiver still going strong and the 950/ 7100 combo. May trade up to 990. All work great with my Klipsch Heritage and THX home theater set ups. I do like to play music through a dynaco tube preamp into the Outlaw equiptment to my Khorns however - produces a mellower more natural sound.- although the Outlaw products alone are very, very good solid state products. No better buy around (except for old Heritage speakers).

I have not compared any of these side by side. Sherbourn is one of the companies that reportedly shares some of the Outlaw platforms. Outlaw is considered by many to be superior to Denon. All solid state amps tend to sound bright with Heritage speakers that is why I use a tube preamp for music and have paid a good deal of attention to accoustical treatments. You can not beat Outlaw for value period.

The Outlaws sell equipment direct, but they often put their name on things that are available under other brands through brick & mortar stores.

For example, some of their amps are made by ATI. From what I've heard, in very limited situations, and what others have said, ATI is brighter and less likely to be a good match for Klipsch than other brands named above.

More to the point of this thread, the 990 pre/pro is basically the Sherwood Newcastle P-965 pre/pro with DVI switching and balanced outs added. Even though the Sherwood retails for $400 more, you can get it for the same price. The Sherwood has a superior remote and does room eq now. Also, it has (IMHO) superior looks. I don't know if there's a difference in the warranty (which could be important to you.) Per stories on other forums, both companies do a great job supporting their products. If I had to buy either right now, I'd go with the Sherwood, because I don't need balanced outputs or DVI switching. The superior remote and room EQ are far more important to me.

Also, Sherwood just announced an HDMI switcher that works with the P-965 for an extra $300. HDMI is something I would pay for, since it will (eventually) eliminate the 5.1 connections for SACD and DVD-A.

If you think I'm bashing the Outlaws, don't. My pre/pro is the Outlaw 950. It has served me well with nary a problem.

• Like 1