Sonic Impact Cheap Beats

raypenn

Just read a short article in the latest issue of Forbes magazine entitled "Cheap Beats - A $39 amplifier blows away audio gear costing thousands of dollars. Its makers were the last to know."

The article says that last fall orders for the Sonic T-Amp surged from a hundred per week to a thousand units per week. The company was stunned to learn that the demand for the "toy" was coming from audiophiles.

The article also says the the T-Amp uses Tripath's lowest-end chip, the model 2024, that puts out 15 watts of power and costs $3. The most powerful chip puts out 500 watts and costs $45. Other than power, there isn't much difference.

In order to capitalize on the audiophile interest, Sonic plans new models, including one with the same chip as the plastic T-Amp but boasting a metal case and heavy duty speaker connections for $139, followed next year by a 50 watt version that will cost $349.

Don't you love capitalism at work?

i would really like to hear one of those 500 watters. I hooked the Teac back up yesterday. Now that I got two subs, I can listen to those crispy clear high/mids with the same oomph in the low end. If your a treble guy the Teac is for you, as Dean stated the other day. Its amusing a 35watt tripath chip with 1,000 watts of sub!!