Help! Can old onkyo power klipsch or polk?

mrod

Help!

I have an old Onkyo TX-SV414PRO. The manual say "60 watts per channel in stereo mode, into 8 ohms, with no more than 0.08% THD. In surround mode it provides a full 50 watts of power to the left and right front channels and to the center channel as well. The rear surround speakers each receive 15 watts per channel." It has Dolby Pro Logic surround sound. It is about 12 years old.

I am looking to buy Klipsch or Polk floorstanding speakers. I currently only have two front speakers and a sub setup. I might get some rears in the future, which might force me to get a new receiver. I hear HK is good. Anyway I currently have some old bookshelf Infinity Sterling Series 6.5 single woofer with polycell tweeter, which are so easy to power. I have never made it half way the volume knob. Which ever speakers I choose, it will be the smaller floorstanding ones for I want them for highs and maybe mids. I have a Klipsch sub SW12 II, which I have to run wires to first, then from sub to speakers. I am considering RF-10, F-1, or Polk monitor 50. I know the RF-10 are way better than F-1. However, the issue is will my old receiver have enough power to make any of these speakers sound decend? I am considering buying one of the lower end HK to push the speakers I choose. Should I get a lower end HK? However, if my old reciever can push anyone of these speakers, I might keep the receiver for a while. I know the speakers I am considering have different sounds ie bright, smooth. My main concern is having enough power for them to sound good. I do not want to spend $500 on RF-10 if my receiver will make them sound bad. To tell you guys the truth, the speakers I have now do not sound to bad. That could mean I have never really heard good speakers.

Recap questions:

1. However, the issue is will my old receiver have enough power to make any of these speaker sound decend?

2. Should I get a lower end HK? However, if my old reciever can push anyone of these speakers, I might keep the receiver for a while.

Thanks

Try it!

So many fret needlessly over hypothetical issues, most of which never come to fruition!

Just try it and listen!

It doesn't matter what all of the brilliant(sic) minds here think!(Hey, I know its not the proper word, but I couldn't find a better word in the thesaurus! vegitate? regurgitate? expel?) Most are simply guessing anyway! And I suspect that you can guess as well, if not better, then they can!

And another group will simply push whatever their particular fetish is on you as the only reasonable course of action! Whatever!!!

Besides, you're still running 2-3 times what the SET folks are running![:D]

Of course there is always that imminent danger of explosion....nevermind, its not important...[:P]

Any of the Klipsch speakers are highly efficient, so you should be okay in stereo mode. However for full home theatre sound, that paltry 15 watts per channel in the rear is not sufficient. Nowdays most HT receivers have equal power to all channels as well as discrete 5 channels of sound plus subwoofer output.

But you'll be okay for now in stereo.

Michael