Can I rotate the tweeter assembly 90 degrees on the new R-5650-S in-walls?

JohnSBW

I see what you mean, but I'd also be worried that it is just slightly "un-square" and prevent you from rotating it. Your best bet to get a definitive answer before buying them would be to call Klipsch on their tech support line at 1-800-KLIPSCH.

If they are unable to reassure you, you could also email Trey Cannon on here, and he'll make sure your question gets asked to the right person.
Good luck...
ROb

Though the dimensions of the horn seem to facilitate 90 degree rotation of the unit for horizontal placement, it is not possible without significant effort.

If you look at the baffle board, you'll note that it is not flat, but rather curved in the horizontal plane. This is a cosmetic treatment intended to replicate the cosmetic of Reference bookshelf models. The back surface of the horn is curved to match the shape of the baffle board. So, if you were to rotate the horn, the current horizontal curveture is then a curve in the vertical and a gap would occur between the back of the horn and the front of the baffle. I suppose it would be possible to fill that gap with something, and I don't believe the radius of curvature is small enough to force the horn to hit the back side of the grille, but it's probably not worth the effort. Here's what I mean: if you think about where this speaker would be mounted in your application and try to visualize its 60 X 90 degree dispersion pattern, when the speaker is turned on its side, it's not likely there will be any early reflections that interfere with performance. If the speaker were to be mounted near the ceiling or the floor, this would be more of a problem, but as a center speaker, it's likely to be mounted further away from those reflective surfaces.

Anyhow, that's the scoop. I hope this gives you the information you need.