RC10 or RC25

marcb515

If your dream LR speaker will be Fortes, I might suggest you pick up one of the many KLF-C7's currently being offered for sale. Some folks would suggest a Heresy, but a KLF will be somewhat similar timbre in a cabinet designed to be a center speaker.

Any reference center will be a sonic mismatch.

Michael

Pair of nice Forte's just came along, check out General section.....

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/617107/ShowPost.aspx

Think they're in your neck of the woods too. That's a bonus.., just checked, can you get to Conneticut from NJ? Please make the drive and don't ship these babies. PLEASE.

Go get em, they won't last long.

I'm not associated with the seller.

Michael

Here's your KLFC7 center speaker

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/615630/ShowPost.aspx

They're in NY, couldn't get much closer unless we dropped em in your back yard..

Although $450 is more like an Academy price, I'd look for around $250 for a KLF-C7, but you have to consider drive time or shipping for speakers.

thank me later...

M

I see you're still tinkering with your mix of speakers. Sorry to say, but appearances of your posts seem to indicate a steady downgrade of your plans. You've gone from Reference 75 and 35 to 25 and 10, sidetracking to Fortes, which ARE AVIALBLE, to staying with your Vegas.

And the stream of questions for center speakers shows the same tendency. From RC's to talk of KLF, now you're seeking advice in KV series.

If you're ever going to go with Fortes, I'd recommend the KLF-C7 if you can't afford and Academy. Please don't match any Ref series ® to any Heritage like the Forte. Any no Ref series center will match those old Vegas in timbre or efficiency.

What is your goal? We need more info in order to help you...

Michael

My ultimate goal is to end up with a nice system within my limited budget. That said I would like to stay with the sound I'm used to from my CV's which is soft, and just the right amout of bass.

It was my wife's Idea to down size from the CV's to a smaller bookshelf type system, but for that to work I would need a subwoofer. I really don't have the room for a sub, and would prefer to end up with front speakers that have sufficient bass. I think I've convinced her for now (LOL).

Yes, I'm all over the map here, and appreciate the suggestions thus far, but the KLF wasn't my idea, it was a suggestion, but out of my price range.

My re-edge kit should be here tomorrow, and if I can re-edge my woofers without screwing them up, I'll hang on to the CV's till they blow up, or a great deal comes along on something else.

I was looking at the Forte's as I thought they were in line with what I have now, only needless to say, with much better quality. However, I noticed the Forte's have a speaker in the rear? If so, they are out as I don't have the room, and may look to the Heresy's down the road.

So basically I need a center speaker that will match the CV's. The JBL's are rear ported, so they are out of the running. I thought the KV-3 being an older speaker would fit in with the CV's better than a newer style. If not I was hoping the RC 25/35 would blend in somewhat.

So all that said I am looking for suggestions to fit within my limited budget and room.

Thank you

Speakers with rear ports or passive radiators (the Forte, Chorus or KG line) don't have to be pulled out terribly far from the wall. In fact most speakers will sound better pulled away a littel anyway.

The Forte will be a considerable upgrade sonically from your Cerwin Vegas and will have a very smoother frequency response. The KG line would be less expensive but still very full range, I see KG4 for $200 per pair all the time. Many here say that the Heresy is a bit bass shy, but it rips for sheer volume in a little box.

If you'r trying to stay with a budget, maybe move CV's to surround, KG4's or so up front for a change, you can always use phantom center mode if you can't buy the extra box for now.

Good luck with your shopping.

Michael