Having a blast from the past setting up new office sound system

Schmidlapper

I just moved into a new office that is pretty large, and I wanted to put in some music. I started looking at modern cheap mini systems and didn't really like anything I was seeing. Then got bright idea to by some used vintage equipment instead, for as cheaply as I could. First I found a very nice Pioneer SX-450 15 watt receiver made around 78 - 79 for $76 shipped on Ebay. I was going to also buy a set of vintage bookshelf speakers off Ebay as well, but the shipping seemed a little high on average, so I thought I would crawl a few pawn shops locally first. The second one I stopped at had a pair of Heresy II in unfinished birch marked at $499. with some home made stands. I asked if they worked and they hooked them up for me and they sounded great. The cabinets will need some love, one has a small ding on top cntr front but probably could be fixed up. I offered them $250 and the deal was done. I should have started lower, but I guess I sorta saved a pair of old Klipsch anyhow. My question is, how well will the Pioneer work with the Heresy IIs? I think my office is going to sound pretty sweet for $326. My present home theater consists of vintage klipsch Chorus II mains, KLF-C7 center, and Heresy II rears. I guess I can always use the additional Heresys for 7.1 some day. Love the Klipsch sound.

I think you did just fine with the vintage Pioneer receiver and the Heresys. Sure beats a boombox anyday!

My dad used a '79 Technics SU-8099 115 WPC integrated stereo amp for several decades with his '79 Cornwalls, and the pair always sounded rich and full-bodied. So content he was with the matchup that he never felt compelled to change his amplification ever again (before the Technics/Cornwall setup, he changed out his power and loudspeaker setup more times than I can remember, always upgrading his equipment to something bigger and better, but never quite aurally satisfying).

Enjoy.

Now that you mention it, the same is true for me. I had went through a lot of equipment before I got into Klipsch, but once I did I only have been replacing components when they wear out. I have had the same main speakers now since bought new in the late 80s. Even in the pawn shop with some cheapo amp I could hear the richness of the Heresys that I enjoy so much.

Nice setups in both places. How do you like your KLF-C7 with the Heritage HT?

You might spring for a bigger receiver for the office, depending on how loud you crank it. Remember better to have too much power than too little. The danger is that you might feed distorted signal to the speakers, which would blow your beloved Heresy. That was a great price on them. $300 is considered a good price for semi-beat up Heresy around here, so if you got nice ones for $250, you done good! Enjoy

Michael

I thought that since these Pioneer receivers were known for putting out a strong 15 watts and the Heresys are pretty efficiant that it should be ok. In the office, I will not need to get to crazy loud anyhow. Now I am just waiting on fedex to bring me the receiver.

Question; these new Heresy IIs have the Klipsch name plate at the top but off to the left side and the ones I have from late 80s are centered at the top. Does anyone know when they were doing the left side name plate? It makes a some sense, becuase the tweeter horn is right behind the centered name plate version.