Large signal simulation ( Klippel )

michael hurd

Interesting tidbit on woofer non-linearities, a few graphs to look at. Not including port compression effects on the frequency response and impulse response, we have non-linearities introduced from:
Bl fluctuations
inductance variations
suspension non-linearities
thermal compression

http://www.klippel.de/aura/sounds/6%20inch%20driver/reports/12.%20SIM%20Prediction%20of%20displacement.htm

http://www.klippel.de/

• 3 weeks later...

Come on you Golden Ears out there, I can't really be the only one in here with a perfect set of ears. If my high score remains unchallenged, I might thereby conclude with some authenticity that all my opinions, theories, and observations past, present, and future concerning all things musical and sound-like must ultimately become authorative within this forum. That's a little much even for me to believe. Its lonely at the top...

Pauln

• 1 year later...

I would like to see the test use ABX instead of AB....it gets annoying hearing the same thing over and over and then after a while you forget what the original was supposed to sound like. I always get thrown off by the bass guitar since every good sounding bass guitar player has gobs of natural driver distortion as part of their sound...but alas, I think I've complained about that before.

The articles are really cool though - I especially enjoy the auralization stuff where you can predict what each distortion is going to sound like, allowing the engineer to tailor the voicing of the speaker.